SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Tiller, rudder misalignment on Cal 24 Hunt

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  pearson301 
#1 ·
I have a Cal 24, Hunt design, hull number 63. My tiller and rudder are slightly out of alignment. Is this adjustable? Does it just have to "bend back"? I don't want to start loosening things, as I have visions of my rudder on the bottom.

Thanks,
Peter

#4 ·
Stumble, you are right that the rudder shaft comes up through the boat. So I think you are saying I should be able to loosen the "collar lock" (not a term I'm familiar with.) and reposition. But Faster's response about it being keyed suggests I cannot reposition. Regardless, can I loosen things without fear of the rudder parting with the boat? What keeps the rudder and shaft attached?

Many thanks,
Peter

#5 ·
Peter,

Not many smaller boats use keyed rudder shafts. It can be done, but it's a lot of extra cost in machining, and generally not worth it. Just friction fitting is typically enough.

I don't know your boat, but most rudders have a retaining collar that actually holds them in place. The tiller usually mounts above this. So no generally loosing the tile rout of the boat isn't a concern. NOT that it couldn't happen. The upside is if it was that easy to get out, you likely have a bad retaining collar that needs fixing anyway :D.

If you don't have a retaining collar, then the bearing are likely to have enough friction to keep the rudder in the boat as well, so long as the rudder isn't under any stress at the time. And if it falls out... Well that's what snorkel gear is for. I can't tell you how many regattas have at least one person swimming for a dropped rudder.

There is a pretty good line drawing of how a rudder is attached at Marine Surveyor School

#6 ·
Greg's probably right... and since it is out of alignment that likely wouldn't happen if in fact it were keyed...

#7 ·
I sailed a '78 Cal 25-II, Lapworth design for many years. I believe the Hunt's came out a little later.
These were very rudimentary boats if you ask me.
The rudder design on our Cal was simply a rudder post with 1 bolt that went through the post and connected the tiller head to the post.
I don't know if yours attaches the same way. I did find some photos of the Hunt Cal, but nothing that had a clear shot of the tiller attachment to the rudder, but I think it is something very similar. If so, I don't see how they could be misaligned, it was one thru bolt that held the two pieces together and than the tiller attached to the same fitting.
Are you sure it is misaligned, or perhaps the tiller itself is bent?

#9 ·
If you're worried about the rudder slipping out, make a rope loop of some sort and try to get it around the rudder and tie it securely to a stern cleat to prevent the drop while you remove/loosen the tiller head. You might need a helping hand and a boat hook to snag the blade.. and to push the rope off afterwards..

#10 ·
Yes, excellent advise, I do believe that it will float as I remember ours being Foam Filled. Maybe not the next generation though. Easy enough to put something under it to prevent a ton of headaches if it doesn't.

#11 ·
I visited the boat. Before the good secure the rudder advice. Fortunately, the rudder stayed put. See two attached pictures. I'm thinking Sailortkj1 was right about the bolt going through the rudder post. So I think the problem is between the rudder post and the rudder. Bent? I don't know how to fix that, unless I elongate the hole the bolt passes through and then tighten down what I believe greg called a collar. Not sure I want to go that route though. I may just need to live with it. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Peter

#13 · (Edited)
It looks like you've got room to remove the through-bolt, loosen the clamp; center the tillerhead, reclamp then drill a new hole just above the original and reinsert the bolt in a realigned position. You might want to take the tiller head to a drill press to get those holes in the right place, then "just" drill out the rudder stock in place. It'll still be a bit of a chore.

The mystery is how it got out of alignment in the first place. It's hard to imagine a force that would twist the rudder stock a few degrees but not damage the rudder.. of course, perhaps the rudder has been repaired but even so.....

Anyhoo.... if the rudder's not binding and feels OK just align things and go sailing.. (or just go sailing and live with it.....)

#14 ·
That is exactly the way I remember it on our old girl.
I would not be surprised if it come out of the factory slightly off. :eek:

#15 ·
Hadn't thought about redrilling. I'll consider that while I continue to sail as is. It's not off by much.

Thanks all. I've learned something. Friends and family frequently ask me how I know how to fix so many things. I always say that I've learned it by fixing my various boats.

Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.