Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Cal
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013

robwalten is on a distinguished road
Cal 2-27 spreader failure and mast bend

I called an owner about his 1977 Cal 2-27 that he is going to donate or sell for a low prive to get rid of the boar due to lack of use. He said that 2 years ago the original wood stbd spreader failed while sailing. The mast bent slightly, not sure where exactly, and after his insurance company surveyed the damage he had the mast straightened by a professional boatyard, both spreaders replaced with aluminum type and all standing rigging replaced(not sure if from Seals Spars & Rigging).

Even if I were to purchase the boat for a extreme minimal investment, is it worth the risk of future potential mast failure? Is there any testing procedure to evaluate the weakening of the mast due to what I would guess was the excessive tension caused by the opposite side upper shroud?

Before I decide to even look at the boat I'd appreciate any comments/advice from the rigging experts out there.

Thanks, Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Cal 2-27 spreader failure and mast bend

I'd consider the boat...if the mast has no bend when out of the boat, or un-tensioned and there is no apparent damage such as a dimple or crease, I would expect you are no worse off than when looking at any other boat with a 45 year old rig.
Old 02-10-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Rob,

To some extent it depends on what you hope to get out of the boat. A bent then fixed mast will always be less stiff than a new one as a function of the damage done to the underlying metal. However, if this is going to be a daysailor/weekender then I probably isn't a real concern, the damage is unlikely to be so severe than moderate weather and loads will cause problems.

If you want to seriously race the boat then the lack of stiffness, particularly the asymetric loss can be a big problem (this is why my J-22 has 2 masts a cruising and racing one). It can cause your sails to set slightly differently on different tacks, and will make mast failure more likely in lesser wind speeds.
Old 02-10-2013

Good points...and I could also see what the yard remembers about the extent of bend and repair necessary to get it fixed.
Thanks for chiming in.
Rob
Old 02-10-2013

Greg,
Points well taken. I will be using for day sailing, weekending and short cruising on the Chesapeake Bay, generally favorable winds conditions year round. I read where the 2-27's have a known design flaw with undersized standing rigging and de-mastings, and all the wires should be increased by 1 size, so hopefully the owner was aware of this and did so when re-rigging. And the orig. wood spreaders have also been replaced-another plus.

From what I've read these older Cals were built conservatively and that may also apply to the mast.
I'm going to look at this boat as well as a 2-29, and they both have some potential issues to pay attention to, and the info readily available thru this forum's posts and other online sites have been very helpful.

Appreciate your input-
Cheers, Rob

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.