SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Caliber 40 Refrigeration overhaul

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  loyola 
#1 ·
My 1992 Caliber 40 refrigeration unit has chilled its last beer. I am looking to refit the system, possibly with a water-cooled Frigoboat unit. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old system - air-cooled motor/compressor in engine room - gets HOT in there and while the system lasted a LONG time, it was rather noisy.

Current plan...

Place condensing unit under port settee run new piping into box. Keeps run to thru hull short and if its as quiet as people say it should work well

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

#2 ·
Me thinks the old doesn't owe you anything. Most of the 12/24 volt systems are designed for DIYers Most if not all use quick connect pre-charged lines. (be sure to use a few drops of ref oil on the fittings when you tighten them. and use 2 wrenches. :)

Key issues. insulation, lid air tightness, batter bank and wiring.

#3 ·
We went through this on our 1993 Caliber 40 a year ago. We ended up rebuilding the entire fridge box (painful project) and installing an air-cooled SeaFrost 12V compressor. Very happy with the results now that it's done. The SeaFrost unit has worked great for us with a low amp draw. In the Pacific Northwest we're using maybe 20 amp/hours a day on refrigeration.

Here's a list of blog entries on our project:
s/v hello world: fridge

Good luck!

Jason
s/v hello world

#4 ·
Denise and Jason. Thanks both of you for the info - the pics are great.

Frigoboat Keel Cooler BD35 looks like the best option for me right now. I sincerely hope I don't have to rebuild the the box like was done on Hello World!

Most of my time right now is on the Chesapeake but hopefully the new system will be chilling cold ones in the lower latitudes one day!

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.