Bras d'Or Lake, Nova Scotia - SailNet Community
Canadian Maritimes All Excluding Western Canada

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Bras d'Or Lake, Nova Scotia

I am curious if any body knows anything about Bras d'Or Lake?

I like to plan my vacations about a year in advance due to limited vacation time and planning requirements. This summer will be the Rideau Canal National Heritage Site, this coming winter will be Everglades National Park, next summer I have had Bras d'Or Lake running through my mind.

My problem is, I don't really understand the lake. I see there is only one major park on the lake and if I drive all the way out there I would kind of like to do some exploring. My boat is small and trailerable, and I like to get ashore at night. So how does that work?

I see numerous islands, each or most surrounded by uninhabited beaches (google earth), but I can't figure out who owns the land.

Can I just show up, beach a small sailboat and pitch a tent on any uninhabited beach?

Bay Hen 21, Prindle 16, Walker Bay 8
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Re: Bras d'Or Lake, Nova Scotia

No one can lay claim to land below the high high water mark in Canada.. but presumably you'd want to tent off the beach.

Been to the Bra D'or Lakes once.. more like an inland sea with the locks and north east entrance. Saw quite a few boats on the lake but don't know about marine parks or camping opportunities.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Faster, good idea about high-pitched water.

Any chance you could give me a legal reference regarding the high-shigh water mark?

I did part of my college in Sydney, NS, but never sailed on the Lake. I did snow board at Ben Eoin.

My little brother mentioned the high-high water mark (he lives in Mabou N.S.) to me as well, but I (and him) are not sure how it works.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:32 AM.

post #4 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Actually all waterways in Canada are federal and so the rules are the same in every province,I am pretty sure of this,and property ownership stops at the high water line and it is illegal to impedes someone's use of the beach(as Faster has said ,he just beat me to it)it makes me laugh when after many dry years lakes get higher and people want government to help pay for flooded cabins ,boathouses or fancy landscaping that was built to low...don't even get me started on people building houses( with basements even) in flood plains but I digress....good luck on your plans to see the Bras d'or lakes,should be very nice o sly better in September ..less other boats,l think it stays nice there a lot later than out west here,,never been to the maritime s but it's in the plans for someday,especially in the fall......Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Ha ha, Tow Guy, my house is almost exactly 1 mile from the Rideau River. My electricity bill for April was $1616 because I have been running 2 pumps 24/7. I am a long way from the flood plain. I think water levels are unusually high in this case.

Last edited by Arcb; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:15 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Okay,sorry to about all that flooding you guys have had,some times my thoughts are maybe out of line,l hope your pumps hold out,......Ralph

Northern Alberta. "85" C/L 16. ,"85"S2 7.9 under repair.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Arcb,

We've been there once quite a few years back. Remember going through the locks, staying at a nearby marina run by the "lions club" I think (my memory is vague but it was something like that), then anchoring in some deserted coves, then headed up to Baddeck. As we've found throughout the Canadian Maritimes, people are wonderful. My guess is that if you asked, many would let you camp on their property and probably let you borrow their car .
Faster likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Remember going through the locks, staying at a nearby marina run by the "lions club" I think (my memory is vague but it was something like that), then anchoring in some deserted coves, then headed up to Baddeck.
That marina would be the St Peter's Lions Club Marina. There are camp sites at the canal.

There's an RV park / campground in Ben Eoin that's right on the water. There are some other private campgrounds around the lake.

It's oriented at kayakers but this list of water trails would probably be worth working your way through.
capecodda likes this.

post #9 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Can't help with the camping out part. We did sail the Bras d'ors some time ago. Mainly marina to marina. St Peter's, Dundee, Baddeck come to mind. I think we anchored out, but maybe just for lunch. It's been a while! I am sure there are guides on the net somewhere. Love Cape Breton.

Not in Bras d'ors, but we also did the trip from Cheticamp to Magdalens. I do recall there being a campground, not on water, but not far from the marina in Cheticamp. You could day sail from there too.
post #10 of 14 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Capecodda, I suspect you are right about folks letting people camp on the beach.

Interesting link ChristinaM, there must be somewhere along those kayak routes that people camp.

Towguy, I agree with you folks shouldn't be aloud to build on flood plains, we've had pretty strict zoning regulations in Ontario since the 1950's. I have heard the high high water reference in inland provinces as well. I used to hear 10' from mean high water in Ontario is public land, but I am not sure if that is accurate or not.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.