SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Maritimes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/canadian-maritimes/)
-   -   Atlantic Canada haul and winter storage (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/canadian-maritimes/82544-atlantic-canada-haul-winter-storage.html)

MikeOReilly 01-09-2012 10:16 AM

Atlantic Canada haul and winter storage

I'm looking for cost estimates and locations for haul and winter storage in Atlantic Canada (or perhaps Maine). Our boat is ~40' and weighs ~28,000#.

Da plan: We're up here at the top of the Great Lakes. We plan to start the full-time cruise in a year or two. But instead of rushing through the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Canada we're looking at spending a couple of years exploring the area. This would necessitate hauling out somewhere in Maritime Canada (or perhaps Maine) the first year, and probably NFLD the second.

Looking for info on good yards and cost estimates from those in the know.

killarney_sailor 01-09-2012 11:55 AM

We bought a boat that was stored at South Shore Marine in Chester, NS. There were several other marinas in that area since it is a hotbed for sailing (no fog in the bay!). I was impressed with South Shore. If you need any work done they are equipped for it and the shop rate was very good as I remember (got the hull of the new/old boat compounded and they did a great job and actually steered us away from an Awlgrip job (which they do) so saved us a bundle. Cruisers also get hauled at Baddeck Marine (think that is the name) in Cape Breton.

Any of these places will be much cheaper than Maine I think - no Hinckley affect.

Enjoy cruising down east. We loved Newfoundland in particular.

MikeOReilly 01-09-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 814862)
We bought a boat that was stored at South Shore Marine in Chester, NS. There were several other marinas in that area since it is a hotbed for sailing (no fog in the bay!). I was impressed with South Shore. If you need any work done they are equipped for it and the shop rate was very good as I remember (got the hull of the new/old boat compounded and they did a great job and actually steered us away from an Awlgrip job (which they do) so saved us a bundle. Cruisers also get hauled at Baddeck Marine (think that is the name) in Cape Breton.

Any of these places will be much cheaper than Maine I think - no Hinckley affect.

Enjoy cruising down east. We loved Newfoundland in particular.

Many thanks Killarney. Great examples. I'll put those in the database.

c_witch 02-12-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOReilly (Post 814834)
I'm looking for cost estimates and locations for haul and winter storage in Atlantic Canada (or perhaps Maine). Our boat is ~40' and weighs ~28,000#.

Da plan: We're up here at the top of the Great Lakes. We plan to start the full-time cruise in a year or two. But instead of rushing through the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Canada we're looking at spending a couple of years exploring the area. This would necessitate hauling out somewhere in Maritime Canada (or perhaps Maine) the first year, and probably NFLD the second.

Looking for info on good yards and cost estimates from those in the know.

You could check with the Dartmouth Yacht Club, Armdale Yacht Club and maybe the Bedford Yacht Club. DYC does work on boats I'm not sure about the others. The south shore is also a good bet 'Lunenburg' area and there are several boat yards on the eastern shore ie. Sheet Harbour area. Sorry I can't help about costs as my boat is trailered in the off season as well as being a DIY'r.

c_witch

100fuegos 06-21-2012 01:02 AM

My boat is winter stored for the winter in Newport, Quebec. Cost for a 30 foot is about 750$ (includes haul out, winter storage and putting it back in the water in the spring)