Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean > Caribbean Islands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009

Eileen1 is on a distinguished road
Question Guadalupe & Dominica

Has anyone been to Guadalupe and Dominica?
Is it hard getting around speaking no French ?
Sunsail base?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
better check recent news; bad $#!T going on down there!
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 02-23-2009

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Dominica = English Speaking

Guadeloupe = In general no but there are some people who don't speak english or refuse to speak english. I even said good morning in french to a local and they refused to acknowledge = very french

As in any foreign country, speaking the local language or at least trying common phrases is polite & appreciated

We got along just fine even had great laughs trying to talk with some locals who did not speak english - we both tried hard. Any place you want to spend money ie restaurant, marina, bar, etc - will figure it out.

I printed off a bunch of French dictionary words & phrases from the web......used it a few times - it was fun

BUT definitely check the news = the french islands are in turmoil right now
Old 02-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Guadaloupe is embroiled in a general strike right now and would be an ill advised destination until that's cleared up. The French islands in general are, as chuteman indicated, very French and as such not too receptive to ignorant foreigners.

Dominica is an absolute delight.. friendly people, amazing countryside and scenery. Very laid back, rural and low key unlike the hustle of the larger centers on Guadaloupe. I don't think there's a Charter base in Dominica, but there may be in Rouseau. You can certainly charter out of the French Islands.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2009

Chuteman is on a distinguished road
Agree with Faster especially about Dominica but it sandwiched by the two French islands with troubles............and seems to be suffering indirectly with reports of fuel shortages or interruptions in Roseau.

If you like longer distance sailing, You could charter out of St. Lucia & sail away.

When we went to Dominica we chartered out of Guadeloupe in '07 from Sunsail - great trip & fun sailing..........and wonderful adventures on land in Dominica.
Old 03-11-2009

Nohiking is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Guadeloupe Problems

Here's some info on Guadeloupe. Definitely stay away from there. And according to this article, the trouble is spilling over into Martinique.

Britons flee French island of Guadeloupe as rioters turn on white families | Mail Online

Last edited by Nohiking; 03-11-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 03-12-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I'm currently Falmouth Harbour, Antigua and the anchorages are full of people waiting for the strikes to end. Dominica is also supposed to be running low on supplies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Old news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohiking View Post
Here's some info on Guadeloupe. Definitely stay away from there. And according to this article, the trouble is spilling over into Martinique.

Britons flee French island of Guadeloupe as rioters turn on white families | Mail Online
The dateline on the article is 19FEB, so things have probably calmed down some since then, or there'd be more recent reports. Checking CNN or TV5 (the French channel) or Radio France International (they have an english print version) might provide better information. People on the French sailing websites I know of aren't going wild with concern about the situation in the FWI. They're asking what sort of wifi is available for their chartered catamarans and sharing bread recepies, not searching for helmets & gas masks.
Old 03-13-2009

edsml is on a distinguished road
Gwada and Dom

Eileen,

I was there for Xmas and NY. I can't comment on the current strife, but I highly recommend Guad as a sailing destination. Yes, I would say it is difficult w/o speaking French, but I tried a little and found no rudeness. What was most frustrating was getting info beforehand by e-mail or telephone in english.

If you can make all arrangements, I'm sure you'll have a great time. The sailing distances, islands, anchorages, winds are all ideal. I too loved Dominica, and may return for a land trip (and by all means sail down), but for sailing/island-hopping, Guad is hard to beat.

I would recommend Marie Galante first, as the winds may not be cooperative to sail there from Dominica, then Les Saintes are a must. I went up the river and around Basse Terre, but would skip the western coast/Pigeon Island next time.

Edward

P.S. You asked about Sunsail-- The marina is great and the base manager was one of the best I've ever worked with (once there). Unfortunately, it is beside a bar/restaurant, so a bad place for a sleepaboard. If you have two hours of daylight, you can make it out to Ilet Gosier and dinghy ashore to the town.

Last edited by edsml; 03-13-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: sunsail
Old 03-13-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsml View Post
....... I went up the river and around Basse Terre, but would skip Pigeon Island next time...
I'm wondering why? We enjoyed some pretty nice snorkeling there..... though it was definitely a lunch-stop sort of place.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)