Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean > Caribbean Islands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009

delecto is on a distinguished road
Tortola-living accomodations

I'm moving to Tortola within the next few weeks to take some ASA courses and dedicate my life to learning sailing. The goal is to eventually buy and move into a live aboard boat and embark on a long circumnavigation (likely solo). In the meantime I need a place to live in Tortola. Ive done some searches and all that I've come up with are vacation rentals. Anyone out there have a place to rent or at the very least can point me in the right direction? Thanks

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
As a Tourist... you can only stay in the BVI for 30 days at a time. You can get extensions by going to the Road Town Immigrations and Customs office but it can be a several day long frustrating process most avoid at all cost.

Not sure you can get a "Student" Visa for learning to sail or if one even exist in the BVI.

It is a long process to get a residency certificate but you will need to start before you arrive.

Most of us who spend a lot of time in BVI do it by making monthly trips to other locations such as USVI for a few days/ weeks then return.

You may have trouble getting anyone to provide you with accommodations for more than 30 days due to the restrictions on how long you can stay...

BTW... do not say you are on business when you enter... that will significantly REDUCE the time you are allowed in the country.

While I do by far prefer the BVI myself, you may want to consider taking your classes in the USVI where problems of stay length may not be such a problem.
Old 06-29-2009

I have a US as well as an EU (Italian) passport. Since the islands are British (EU) territory I'm assuming I won't be under the same restrictions as a sole US passport holder.

Edit: Again this is only an assumption, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by delecto; 06-29-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2009

Hmmm... according to this site a US citizen can stay up to 180 days. British Virgin Islands Visa : Application, Requirements. Apply for British Virgin Islander Visas Online.
Old 06-30-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
No idea what the site is talking about. On entry you can get 30 days max and an extension/s (for a max of 90 days total) is possible if you make the Road Town trip but most just hop over to USVI for a while and return for another 30 . Any more than that you will have to apply for an advanced Visa with full documentation

Have never seen anyone get more than 30 unless you apply for a formal visa such as a residential visa which takes time and you need to apply prior to arrival.

Also it make no difference if your US or EU... same limits unless your from one of the excluded countries.

Recommend you check with an official web site for requirements. I think the confusion may be the formal visa vs the normal tourist entrance at point of entry which does not require a formal visa unless your from one of the excluded countries.

My experience for the past 4 years is that....With out the formal visa your stay limit is 30 days or less at the digression of the specific Immigrations officer you interface with at the point of entry.
Old 09-13-2009
Aupiipii Hunter 45Passage

Aupiipii is on a distinguished road
Tortola Apartment

2 or 3 years ago, I met a gentleman renting apartments in from of the harbour. Long term and short term and from 1 bedroom to 3 bedrooms.

You can be in touch with him at 284 494-4389 and fax is 284 494-6864
His name is John R. Acland.
Landac Development Inc.

Apartments were clean and nicely furnished.
Old 09-13-2009

kootenay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by delecto View Post
I have a US as well as an EU (Italian) passport. Since the islands are British (EU) territory I'm assuming I won't be under the same restrictions as a sole US passport holder.

Don't assume anything in the BVI's when it comes to residency. Being a British overseas territory isnt the same as being British and dosent come with the same rules. The BVI is not a member of the EU. It is the BVI. You will probably find you are faced with the same rules US citizens are or us poor Canucks face. Best way to ensure a residency permit is to buy a place there. If you can afford it and are going to be there a while its not a bad investment. As to a rental I would contact Caribbean realty in Road town for assistance and dont rule out the purchase option it really is a good investment if you buy wisely in the present market.

Also check out travel talk online alot of the folks there live in the BVI and can help you much better. One of the folks, Davide, has a restaurant there and it is a great place to eat. He lives on Great Cam and should be able to help you.

Last edited by kootenay; 09-13-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2010

kootenay is on a distinguished road
Davide's restaurant is great too. But watch out for the Grappa he may feed you as well it packs a fair kick.
Old 08-15-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by delecto View Post

I was in the BVI recently and as my boat was broke I needed to overstay the 30 day limit that is the standard period they give you. As a result I now know a bit about their immigration practices.

I am a UK passport holder. This does not make a difference US or UK you will get 30 days on entry and that ONLY if you can provide them with evidence of your ability to fund your stay and you have some pre booked accomodation or a letter from a boat captain. If you want to stay longer you have to go to the immigration office and apply for an extension which can be for a maximum of 180 days.

If the boat stays longer than 30 days you have to import it and pay an import tax which I beleive is only $200 not so bad.

If you are a US citizen it will be cheaper and much easier to stay in the USVI.

There is also more inexpensive accomodation in the USVI the BVIs are geared to short term visits and extracting as much moolah as possible as quickly as possible.
Old 03-03-2011

SailSlider79 is on a distinguished road
Living and Working In Tortola.

Hi, I will be moving to Tortola in June. I have set up a years work permit and will be working in the yacht charter business. I am interested in knwoing what the average cost of living is with regards to food and accommodation? Considering the fact I would possibly go the shared accommodation route as it saves money but more info regarding the standard of living would be great. Can anyone suggest a long term rental website or contact detals of someone offering accom. Ulitimately can someone survive and save money whilst making $1300 (after tax) a month?
Thanking you in advance for all the help

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.