Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean > Caribbean Islands
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010

ceddavis is on a distinguished road
Grenadines

Ok, this is my dream cruise, at least until I can cruise more then a week at a time.

We are doing 8 days north out of Grenada at the end of Feb with 11 crew and 2 boats. As a group, we have previously chartered in BVI and Abaco, but no one has been Windward's before. Our experience levels range from "serious" to "like being out on a boat", with 3 of us owning our own boats here in the US.

Can we tap the collective experience of the group for suggestions? If you've been there recently, I'd love to hear from you.

We've done the obvious and read cruising guides (example: Pavlidis's "The Windward islands") as well and some books by cruisers through the area. The two areas on the top of my current list are Bequia and the Horseshoe Reef.

1. Suggested itineraries? An idea which looks appealing is sail north from Grenada overnight to Bequia and then work our way south. This gets all the upwind sailing out of the way upfront in a wide open ocean (the Grenadines lie slightly north east).

2. Over rated hot spots to avoid? Please don't tell me Admiralty bay is now over run by (land-lubbing) tourists (actually DO tell me...)

3. Specific suggestions on things to do or see at different locations which might not have made some of the books, like a really good local restaurant. (My fiance is a Trini, and we love authentic West Indian food).

4. Any suggested destinations you wouldn't know about from cruising guides? Your favorite "secret spot?".

5. Sailing scenarios or places to avoid or where to exercise added caution?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2010

cthomas is on a distinguished road
check out seargents model boats in bequia. tobago cays for sure. chatham bay (sp?) on union island. you will love the islands.
Old 12-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Tyrell Bay on Carriacou would be a good first stop.. very friendly people and great hiking here - deserted beachs abound, and the local 'taxi' rides are an experience in themselves.

Union Island is interesting and a logical customs entry/exit point for SVG. Not to be missed are Bequia & Tobago Cays. I'd think that would be about all you can reasonably do in 8 days in and out of Grenada.

Have a great trip.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-29-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Bequia and Tobago Cays

Just don't miss these 2 spots. They are not overrated. Bequia will be "civilization" with a small c. Don't miss it. Tobago will be anchor down and beautiful, an image I'm holding onto as I look out the window at the snow. I'd stay 2 nights in both of these spots.

The rest is optional, but depends on your crew's preferences:

Petite St. Vincent: Resort, higher end, fancy dinner, high octane rum drinks.
Union: Supplies
Mustique: If you have crew that needs to see the rich and famous

It would be a long sail, but the Piton's at St Lucia are beautiful.

Enough, back to the snow
Old 12-29-2010

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Nice. I jealous. If there is a northern swell the anchorages can be rolly. The best out of the way anchorage is on the south of Union Island (Frigate Ils). Union is best for supplies. Petite Martinique is for H2O and Lombi fritters. Mayreau Gardens (south east side of Mayreau) is best for diving, you have to approach from the south west. Salt whistler bay is nice in Mayreau but will likely be crowded (holding can be tricky). Canouan should be avoided (if there is a swell you will never make land fall and all anchorages are rolly. If you go to Bequia, anchor on the north side of Admr Bay if there is a north swell, otherwise, anchor on the south side. Also, Hope Beach on Bequia is worth a visit by land, but the waves can be big. Watch carefully for markers, it takes the islanders a while to replace them when the go missing. Carriacou is great for hiking and lots of beaches. There is one on the northwest of the island that is worth a visit (i've only hiked there, but I think you can anchor for a short visit but i wouldn't stay overnight as you are not protected. Tyrell Bay on Carriacou is where the yacht services are located, but the climate is horrible (no wind and lots of heat). Hope that helps. And don't miss the Cays!
PSV is also a nice stop, I anchor on the north west side (slip in between the beach and the reef). The resort lets you visit the restaurant (best in the islands outside of Grenada). LeBelle Creole in Grenada (or Mama's if you are adventurous) for good meals. Oh and Max's in Bequia has the best lobster pizza. If you stay in the Cays, make friends with one of the local power boaters (they deliver ice from Union island).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2011

ceddavis is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions. We are starting to get serious about route planning, knowing that when the weather does not cooperte, all plans go out the window. Oh, well. Worst case, it'll be nicer then the weather here in NYC: 5F.

An added factor to look forward to: Out last full day on the boat in Carnival, or Mardi Gras as we called it growing up in Mobile, AL.
Old 02-18-2011

mcavacas is on a distinguished road
Very jealous that you're going to the Grenadines. Grenada is by far my favorite island to explore. Definitely go to La Belle for authentic creole.

If you're into a little bit of hiking, definitely hike the Seven Sisters Waterfalls while in Grenada. Along the hike you can pick various fresh fruits that grow right along the trail. Everyone usually goes to the first waterfall because it's the easiest to get to, but an extra 5 or 10 minute hike brings you to another waterfall that is more secluded and I believe much prettier. One thing to note: you don't notice it on the way there, but you're walking downhill all the way there, so on the way back be prepared to walk uphill.

Good luck and have fun!

Mickey
Old 07-29-2011

flyz2 is on a distinguished road
Grenada in Oct

Hello everyone, we are going on our honeymoon in early Oct and am on a bit of a tight budget. Does anyone in the area need crew for a day or two maybe 3 ?
We are both new sailors and just love to get out on the water. Any suggestions sure would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.