Ok, this is my dream cruise, at least until I can cruise more then a week at a time.
We are doing 8 days north out of Grenada at the end of Feb with 11 crew and 2 boats. As a group, we have previously chartered in BVI and Abaco, but no one has been Windward's before. Our experience levels range from "serious" to "like being out on a boat", with 3 of us owning our own boats here in the US.
Can we tap the collective experience of the group for suggestions? If you've been there recently, I'd love to hear from you.
We've done the obvious and read cruising guides (example: Pavlidis's "The Windward islands") as well and some books by cruisers through the area. The two areas on the top of my current list are Bequia and the Horseshoe Reef.
1. Suggested itineraries? An idea which looks appealing is sail north from Grenada overnight to Bequia and then work our way south. This gets all the upwind sailing out of the way upfront in a wide open ocean (the Grenadines lie slightly north east).
2. Over rated hot spots to avoid? Please don't tell me Admiralty bay is now over run by (land-lubbing) tourists (actually DO tell me...)
3. Specific suggestions on things to do or see at different locations which might not have made some of the books, like a really good local restaurant. (My fiance is a Trini, and we love authentic West Indian food).
4. Any suggested destinations you wouldn't know about from cruising guides? Your favorite "secret spot?".
5. Sailing scenarios or places to avoid or where to exercise added caution?
Thanks in advance.