Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TQA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014

gerry is on a distinguished road
saint lucia & saint vincent end of january

Hello all,

I am going to be sailing around the caribbean end of january for about 8 days.
Leaving from castries, and thinking about going to saint vincent and back (sailing a 32ft)

Can you recommend an itinerary with the nicest places, yet avoiding the tourist traps?

Also, I heard there are problems with people offering to keep an eye on your dinghy while you go walk around, and dinghies disapearing if no "tip" is given to them when you get to the dock....How real, or how often does this happen?

Thanks to all in advance

Gerry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: saint lucia & saint vincent end of january

I'd avoid the northern sections of St Vincent.. esp Chateaubelair (sp?) - the drug trade is quite active there. We've stayed in some small coves along the way as well as Wallilabou, the boat boys are inevitable.. for the cost I think the goodwill you generate making some use of their services is worthwhile. I definitely believe it's unwise to dismiss them outright. Be polite even when you're denying an offering, but for the $5-10US or so they're asking for it's not bad.

I'd overnight on St Vincent somewhere the first day but carry on to Bequia and even Mayreau and the Tobago Cays.. Could be a tough slog back to Castries, though. Eight days will be pretty tight.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Hello all,

I am going to be sailing around the caribbean end of january for about 8 days.
Leaving from castries, and thinking about going to saint vincent and back (sailing a 32ft)

Can you recommend an itinerary with the nicest places, yet avoiding the tourist traps?

Also, I heard there are problems with people offering to keep an eye on your dinghy while you go walk around, and dinghies disapearing if no "tip" is given to them when you get to the dock....How real, or how often does this happen?

Thanks to all in advance

Gerry
Gerry--

With the crime problems in St. Vincent, that's about the last place I would go on a vacation, and particularly a short one. Frankly, there are a number of good stops in St. Lucia--Rodney Bay, Marigot Bay, Soufriere, and the whole southwest coast of Martinique starting with Sainte-Anne/Le Marin is only 25 miles north of Gros Islet.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-02-2014

Hi there,
Thanks for your answers!

I had not really thought about martinique, as I had heard that bequia was really amazing, but I will definitively keep it in mind now.

In a rental 32 ft boat, is it safe to think that it would take me about 5 hr to get from castries to vieux fort? Or seen it the other way, how far down could I get if we start early in the morning?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
Hi there,
Thanks for your answers!

I had not really thought about martinique, as I had heard that bequia was really amazing, but I will definitively keep it in mind now.

In a rental 32 ft boat, is it safe to think that it would take me about 5 hr to get from castries to vieux fort? Or seen it the other way, how far down could I get if we start early in the morning?

Thanks
I suggest you click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (it's free) and use the tools/references that are available on the site to check out the anchorages, distances, etc. Google Earth also has distance and path measuring tools that will give you milages and you can probably assume 4.5 to 5 knots with a 32' yacht. Start from there.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-03-2014

Great ressource!
thanks for sharing.
Old 01-06-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I have been cruising this area for years. I would have plan A and B

PLAN A I would ONLY go south if it looked like the wind would be East or ESE for your return trip to St Lucia. The North end of St Vincent is NASTY in strong NE winds and I sail a 44ft cutter.

I would not go to Vieux Fort

Going south stop at Soufriere visit the drive in volcano.

Soufriere to Wallilabou will need an early start. In Wallilabou visit the waterfall park which is an easy walk.

Bequia next. Tobago Cays if you have time, if not make it round to Petit Nevis for some great snorkeling.

Plan B go North to Martinique. Marin, St Anne, Grand Anse D'Arlet [ visit Ti Sable for a good meal esp Sunday lunchtime buffet BOOK! ] Fort de France, Trois Islets [ visit Empress Josephines birthplace] St Pierre.

If the wind is NE as is likely at that time of the year you will have a great romp back to St Lucia instead of a miserable beat up from St Vincent as your last sail.

Re your dink a chain or wire strop with a padlock is a good idea, I rarely lock mine during the day but ALWAYS either lift it or lock it on at night if leaving it in the water. Dinghy thefts and occasional boat thefts do occur, the south side of Admiralty Bay Bequia well out is being hit by one or more swimmers just now.
Faster likes this.

Last edited by TQA; 01-06-2014 at 01:28 PM.