SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Caribbean (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/)
-   -   Trying to reason with Hurricane season! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/66885-trying-reason-hurricane-season.html)

Diamondjet 07-30-2010 10:00 AM

Trying to reason with Hurricane season!

When is the season for Hurricanes in the Virgin Islands? Our only experience with this is Cozumel and normally an October trip is OK! I don't know if this applies to the BVI.

svHyLyte 07-31-2010 07:27 AM

See BVI Hurricane Information

TQA 07-31-2010 12:51 PM

This site gives you some idea of the risk Virgin Gorda, BVI - Island Projection - Climatology of Caribbean Hurricanes - 1851-2008

catamariner 07-31-2010 11:14 PM

There have been hurricanes as late as November there, but usually October/all over is quoted; note Omar was an H4 and hit Oct 16, 2008 -- about every ten years there seems to be a mid-October 'cane/TS there.

Mariner777 09-20-2011 09:37 PM

Wintering in Bimini costs? Timeframe? Best anchorage?

I am contemplating wintering in Bimini after the Hurricanes die down. I currently have a pretty sweet slip and am on the fence about doing this. I was wondering what sort of tourist rip off I may be expecting in terms of fees? Heard something about a cruising permit? Is there a charge to anchor like in Miami? How outrageous is food? (like say 6 pack of beer? Week of groceries for two people eating mostly fresh vegetables?)

I would consider going down end of October or so.

On the flip side when does it get ungodly hot? How far is the next nearest island and is that a better place?

I kind of like to go find a nice spot and hang out for a while am not a fan of hauling up the anchor every day more of a seasonal mover so want to sort of pick a spot and stay there till the spring...

Also how is the crime? Am contemplating driving down to Ft Lauderdal and hopping a cruise over to scope it out before investing the effort and energy of going there to find it was a mistake. I may not get much of a sense though as those ships are floating mall-like tourist buses...

Any input appreciated thanks!

Yorksailor 09-21-2011 02:58 AM

Fee is $150 up to 35 ft and $300 above 35 ft.

Beer and groceries are Miami +25 -50% or more especialy beer.

You can anchor for free.

Crime no worse than Miami.

Cruise ships don't go anywhere you want to go in a small boat

imagine2frolic 09-21-2011 07:39 AM

Bimini is a fishing, and drinking town. There's not much there. Beer was $40 a case for Bud, or Heineken in 2008. There are far prettier places to be with in 2 days. As little as a day. Of course 8 miles south there in Honeymoon harbor, but it can be like a sardine can at times. I personally would get to the Exumas. You can have solitude, or a huge social life.......i2f

Mariner777 09-21-2011 06:35 PM

I meant to post this as its own thread my mistake not sure how that happened. Anyways sounds like the biggest expense once your anchored then is just food? So supplementing that by fishing and growing sprouts and stuff and bringing months of stores it could actually be a pretty cheap way to spend the winter? Not having my slip fee would more then compensate for the increased cost of food... Will look into the Exumas. I do kind of wonder how a crowded anchorage might be - like you hear every noise from the neighbours and it feels tough to have any privacy encountered a few in the past and there were always headaches with anchors dragging etc.

TQA 09-21-2011 08:08 PM

Well a 1lb bag of furry Californian carrots could cost ya $5 in Bimini

Fishing licence annual $150

Do a mega stock up in Walmart in Florida and aim to be as self sufficient as possible. Learn to snorkle for conch and how to cook it.

Rock sound on Eleuthera is a kinda quiet spot or at least it was. Who knows maybe Canival Cruise lines have opened a Disneyworld there.

imagine2frolic 09-22-2011 07:43 AM

The fishing license comes with the check in paperwork. It's free, but you have to ask for it most times. Even in the Exumas you can find solitude, or social times. The Jumeintos is pretty mmuch alone. Acklin was very empty of cruisers too......i2f