Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010

Diamondjet is on a distinguished road
Trying to reason with Hurricane season!

When is the season for Hurricanes in the Virgin Islands? Our only experience with this is Cozumel and normally an October trip is OK! I don't know if this applies to the BVI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
See BVI Hurricane Information
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-31-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
This site gives you some idea of the risk Virgin Gorda, BVI - Island Projection - Climatology of Caribbean Hurricanes - 1851-2008
Old 08-01-2010
Geekaholics Anadromous

catamariner is on a distinguished road
There have been hurricanes as late as November there, but usually October/all over is quoted; note Omar was an H4 and hit Oct 16, 2008 -- about every ten years there seems to be a mid-October 'cane/TS there.
Old 09-20-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
Wintering in Bimini costs? Timeframe? Best anchorage?

I am contemplating wintering in Bimini after the Hurricanes die down. I currently have a pretty sweet slip and am on the fence about doing this. I was wondering what sort of tourist rip off I may be expecting in terms of fees? Heard something about a cruising permit? Is there a charge to anchor like in Miami? How outrageous is food? (like say 6 pack of beer? Week of groceries for two people eating mostly fresh vegetables?)

I would consider going down end of October or so.

On the flip side when does it get ungodly hot? How far is the next nearest island and is that a better place?

I kind of like to go find a nice spot and hang out for a while am not a fan of hauling up the anchor every day more of a seasonal mover so want to sort of pick a spot and stay there till the spring...

Also how is the crime? Am contemplating driving down to Ft Lauderdal and hopping a cruise over to scope it out before investing the effort and energy of going there to find it was a mistake. I may not get much of a sense though as those ships are floating mall-like tourist buses...

Any input appreciated thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Fee is $150 up to 35 ft and $300 above 35 ft.

Beer and groceries are Miami +25 -50% or more especialy beer.

You can anchor for free.

Crime no worse than Miami.

Cruise ships don't go anywhere you want to go in a small boat

Last edited by Yorksailor; 09-21-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-21-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Bimini is a fishing, and drinking town. There's not much there. Beer was $40 a case for Bud, or Heineken in 2008. There are far prettier places to be with in 2 days. As little as a day. Of course 8 miles south there in Honeymoon harbor, but it can be like a sardine can at times. I personally would get to the Exumas. You can have solitude, or a huge social life.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-21-2011

Mariner777 is on a distinguished road
I meant to post this as its own thread my mistake not sure how that happened. Anyways sounds like the biggest expense once your anchored then is just food? So supplementing that by fishing and growing sprouts and stuff and bringing months of stores it could actually be a pretty cheap way to spend the winter? Not having my slip fee would more then compensate for the increased cost of food... Will look into the Exumas. I do kind of wonder how a crowded anchorage might be - like you hear every noise from the neighbours and it feels tough to have any privacy encountered a few in the past and there were always headaches with anchors dragging etc.

Old 09-21-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Well a 1lb bag of furry Californian carrots could cost ya $5 in Bimini

Fishing licence annual $150

Do a mega stock up in Walmart in Florida and aim to be as self sufficient as possible. Learn to snorkle for conch and how to cook it.

Rock sound on Eleuthera is a kinda quiet spot or at least it was. Who knows maybe Canival Cruise lines have opened a Disneyworld there.
Old 09-22-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
The fishing license comes with the check in paperwork. It's free, but you have to ask for it most times. Even in the Exumas you can find solitude, or social times. The Jumeintos is pretty mmuch alone. Acklin was very empty of cruisers too......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.