SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Caribbean (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/)
-   -   Leaving from Florida to Bahamas, documents? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/71518-leaving-florida-bahamas-documents.html)

radovix 01-22-2011 04:34 AM

Leaving from Florida to Bahamas, documents?

Dear All, I have a couple of questions, is some can help?

We have a US Mass. Registered Boat and We have a non US passport.
We plan to leave to Bahamas on March.

Any knows if we need a clearance from Florida (ie. exit stamp from US customs on passport) and were to do in Ft Pierce or Ft Lauderdale.

Yorksailor 01-22-2011 12:07 PM

Left many times for the Bahamas, both US and non-US passports and never checked out. However, the Mexicans do want a exit document if you go directly there.

Phil

blowinstink 10-04-2011 09:11 AM

Return procedures?

So, there is no need to clear out when leaving US for Bahamas in an state registered (undocumented) vessel? Is this the same if the destination is BVI or Bermuda? What about return procedures? Do I need to obtain some sort of sticker / transponder before I leave? Where do I get that? Is there a website or some other place where I can get a list of the US reentry requirments for US citizens in boats?

TIA

DRFerron 10-04-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowinstink (Post 782475)
Is there a website or some other place where I can get a list of the US reentry requirments for US citizens in boats?

TIA

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel

There is also a link here to the Small Vessel Reporting System, which is web-based. You can register online so that all you have to do is make a phone call to re-enter the US.

blowinstink 10-04-2011 10:33 AM

Thanks DR. Maybe I'll meet up with you on the bay in the spring.

spindalis 07-19-2012 05:40 PM

Re: Leaving from Florida to Bahamas, documents?

We didn't have to call ahead or register when we came back in January. You won't have any problem with the Bahamas as long as you pay them for the cruising permit.

SVAuspicious 07-19-2012 06:12 PM

Re: Return procedures?

Quote:

Do I need to obtain some sort of sticker / transponder before I leave? Where do I get that?

The transponder is for trucks crossing the borders to Mexico or Canada regularly. The sticker is for boats and private aircraft. It's cheap (something less than $30) and easy. If you re-enter the US without one they WILL charge you for the sticker fee, but (as I understand it) you won't get a sticker so will have to pay every time.

I got my first sticker--they are annual--in 2006 within about 10 days of the web application. The renewals have been as quick.

eddyedsanden 08-06-2012 01:16 AM

You can leave from anywhere and show up in the Bahamas, just like the old days. From the US, depart anywhere and show up at Spanish Cay, Abaco, Bahamas. Zero traffic, nice setup. oh, a shallow draft helps, bottom is usually sand, just show your passport, probably no more than a bill of sale, and you're in. Might help to have registration somewhere. The Bahamas is interested almost exclusively about what you are hauling in country and can they get some duty on it.
Relax and steer!

Capt.Alex 02-06-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Leaving from Florida to Bahamas, documents?

Get your Customs decal before you leave ($25). Make sure you have the cash for Bahamas customs ($150 or $300 over/under 30 or 35'). Fly your "Q" flag entering both Bahamas and upon return to U.S. Arrive at an official port of entry. Have fun, take chances, fair winds!

DougSabbag 02-06-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

So, there is no need to clear out when leaving US for Bahamas in an state registered (undocumented) vessel? Is this the same if the destination is BVI or Bermuda? What about return procedures? Do I need to obtain some sort of sticker / transponder before I leave? Where do I get that? Is there a website or some other place where I can get a list of the US reentry requirments for US citizens in boats?

TIA

We left Florida, (Ft. Lauderdale or No Name Harbor), numerous times to head to the Bahamas, and never had to "check out".

When you get to any Bahamian Island you do have to check in, and dependent upon your length of vessel, you have to pay either $150 (35' or under) or $300 for 30 day(?) of cruising amongst the Bahamian Islands.

After having touched down in any foreign port, upon return to the US you are supposed to check in wherever you enter.