Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011

radovix is on a distinguished road
Florida Bahamas passage

Dear All,
We have not decided yet if is best to cross to Bahamas from Ft Pierce or Ft Lauderdale.

We heard different opinions, in northern Bahamas, I presume, we have to sail the little Bahamas bank to reach the first port of call?

We would like to have some opinion and some suggestion about the mooring sites and the "ideal" cruise.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Well you asked for an opinion so you get one. Are you already in Florida? My favorite place to leave for the Bahamas is Norfolk VA. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Are you looking to go to the Abacos or to the Exumas? What's your draft?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 03-20-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
I am looking to make the trip also. I do not care where I end up. Is West End or Bimini a better destination for a first crossing. I have a 3.5 draft on mine. I am just as worried about the traffic out of florida as I am the crossing.
Old 03-21-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida Bahamas passage

radovix -
It depends on where you want to arrive. The secret is to make the Gulf Stream work for you rather than against you. I usually leave from the south end of Key Biscayne and go to Bimini.

campuscab -
If you plot your travels so as to arrive as quickly as possible you won't have to spend as much time worrying about traffic. Which is just a matter of staying alert anyway.

Last edited by FSMike; 03-21-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

LOADS of threads on thei topic.

If heading for Bimini I used to leave from Miami staging out of no name harbour.

N.B. If going to Bimini make sure you time things to arrive with good light for an EYEBALL nevigation entrance. At 3.5 ft you are less likely to have problems but it still happens EVERY year.

See https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

If to the Abacos via Memory Rock I would leave from West Palm Beach.

This was on a slow 38ft Ketch a 4KTSB in the paralance.
Old 03-22-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road

The guy I bought it from took a 16 over and put it on a reef. He had to fix it over there. He said he still had a good time but learned not to enter at night. He thought at 16 he didn't have to worry. Luckily he had a dinghy and some people helped him out. Good thing he new how to fix boats.
I plan to do everything as safe as possible and I have no problem in holding off to get a good window for weather. I will have two outboards a dinghy,two radios,plenty of fuel,explorer charts, a garmin gps, it has speed and depth, compass now. It sounds overkill but I, would rather have something and not need it. I am planning on taking this all over so I am sure it will get used. I can transfer to other boats also.
I was a bounty hunter for 12 years and LE before that without a scratch because of good planning, training, equipment oh ya and lots of luck.
That is why I am talking here to learn from you guys. Just because I want to do something that has risk does not mean that I am careless. The boat is capable of the trip the test will be me. Lone gull and Black Feathers showed that the boats can handle the ocean. I do not claim to be Robert Crawford but I am not trying to go to Hawaii.
After all the crazy work I have done (I, was one of those guys in black after Katrina) I have no intention of killing myself in a sailboat. I just want to enjoy life a bit and show some of the old timers that drive 40 down the highway you do not need to have half a million to enjoy the water.
Old 03-23-2013

sck5 is on a distinguished road

I went direct from Ft. Pierce to Great Sale Cay a year ago. Easy if you pick a weater window ( you have to do that no matter where you start from). Left in the pm so as to arrive on the banks just after dawn. On to Great Sale to anchor for the night.