Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dugsmith98

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
sailing BVIs in February for a week

Our first time to the BVIs and first time bareboating. We are going for 7 days in late February and would appreciate any advice about places to go and places to see. Our preference is quiet natural vs developed and noisy. Plan to do some snorkelling and beach combing. Any must see places to visit or places to avoid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2012

dugsmith98 is on a distinguished road
Re: sailing BVIs in February for a week

Trellis Bay has a nice "artsy" area and a nice resteraunt. See if the full moon is the week you are there, since they have a nice full moon party.
Bitter End on the north end of Virgin Gorda, is a nice place to spend a day or two.
Indians are great snorkling, and you can go from there over to The Bight on Norman Island, for the night.
Don't miss a day at the Baths on the southern part of Virgin Gorda, and then you can spend the night on a ball, off of Spanish Town.
Good Snorkeling off of Monkey Point, at the southeast of Guana island.
Most of these give you the quiet side of the BVI, without the late night stuff. But you are close to it, if you decide to jump in.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-22-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

7 Days is a nice vacation, but not enough to see everything and should you try to see too many things crammed into that one trip then you won't be able to really enjoy those places you do see.

Quiet & Natural in the BVI during the season isn't quite as easy as it might seem, but still possible. How far and when you travel depends upon your inclinations (sailing vs. relaxing at anchor or on the beach) and the type of boat you have plus your willingness to turn on the iron genny.

The typical route, starting from Road Town or Hodge's Creek or Nanny Cay is to get a start sometime after noon and head to Norman Island and "The Bight". That is full of mooring balls and certainly on the beaten path. But there are other anchorages on and around Normal Island that you can use to stay out of the mainstream - but you won't be able to dinghy ashore or to the Willie T's from places such as Benures.

What sort of a boat will you have and do you prefer to travel (under sail or engine) vs. lounge?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-22-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If you're from Toronto, I suspect you will find every inch of BVI to be "quiet natural vs developed and noisy", by comparison. The islands are very laid back, everywhere. So much so, that you better lose any sense of urgency for anything.

There is nothing that is very developed, by my relative terms, other than perhaps Road Town or nearby, where I presume you will pick up your charter. Once you head anywhere else, its pretty quiet. Except for the occasional boat full of drunks, but they're not even that common.

You can find very secluded anchorages, but I suggest you hit the more popular spots if its your first trip. They are popular for a reason. You're more likely to find mooring balls, for one thing, if that matters to you. Secondly, you will swap stories with a ton of people that have been when you get back. You really can't say you've been to the BVI having never seen the Baths.

You will probably want to anchor or have a mooring ball that is further from the beach, if your nature is to prefer seclusion. Arrive as early as you can, to have your pick. Before 2pm is probably best.

There are a ton of posts on this board with advice on where to go and what to do. Type either of these into a google search:

site:sailnet.com bvi

site:sailnet.com british virgin islands

Here is a video that was posted and reportedly filmed there about two months ago. Its a pretty good representation of its relative development!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-23-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

Awesome video - I have 2-3 more weeks before I return to "Zanshin" and to the BVI. I'll probably still be around the BVI (or back in the BVI, if I head to St. Martin for provisioning) so perhaps we'll cross wakes, Nodders - if you see the boat just come on by for a "hello".

Old 12-23-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Can't help you with the BVIs, but just wanted to say congrats.. you're sure to enjoy the break and February is the perfect timing.

Although it's not like you've actually had a winter yet, have you????

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-03-2013

Saltydog60 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: sailing BVIs in February for a week

Let me start with saying 'You cannot go wrong!'

If the weather is fine ---- and it most frequently is gorgeous! ---- then it is full of beautiful pleasures.

My favorite area is ....everywhere! ...... Seriously.

That said, anchor or grab a buoy off of Jost van Dyke and go to "Foxy's" --- a bar. DO PASS GO and do NOT ! have a drink ----- or two ---- or th-ph-ree!!! Very GREAT and potent drinks! BUT, DO walk to the right as you face "Foxy's" on the trail to the spot where there is a sensational ocean water 'hole' ---- a sandy area where the waves crash in over the rocks and give you a life-time-memory of nature and beauty. Awesome spot!

Have dinner with Eunice at here spot at Little Jost Bay. She hails on 9 and 16. She pronounces her name as "Eu - nice - cie" (you - nice - sea) That's how she pronounces her name. Seriously. Call in by 3 to 4 PM and decide what YOU want for dinner. She'll shop it and it will be GREAT! Also, her drinks are potent! She will have someone pick you up from your transom in her Dink and bring you in and back......so......you may have ONE of her drinks. She's such a nice person and her cooking is fabulous! ONE lobster is so huge that two can easily share one.

At The Bitter End you can have a very pleasant dockage.

Peter Island is way too expensive. Been there a couple of times. Skip it!

SCUBA the Wreck of the Rhone. GREAT! It lies 85 feet down so snorkeling is not worth it.

Nanny Cay is a 'hoppping' port.' Lot's of action. The bathrooms there for mariners are ---- seriously! ---- gorgeous! Japanese - style black slate. Really gorgeous!

Just go where ever you wish. Everywhere is lovely.

DO be sure to walk through the caves at "The Baths" on Virgin Gorda.
Very worthwhile experience.

Take a cab from V. Gorda (and return pick up) to the restaurant in the trees. (Can't recall it's name.) Great food. Great music. Great drinks AND cool setting UP in the trees.

Get the calendar like "Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands." Very good aerial photos of the harbors and their shoals.

Pay attention to buoys. They need to be minded to avoid hitting the rocks under the surface. Especially at the entrance to Nanny Cay. Stay in the channel.

I'll be sailing from 26 March to 4 April is you know of some one(s) who may be interested in signing on as a share-paying crew member. Could set up other dates in addition.

I am very experienced as a Skipper. I've done the US and the BVIs a couple of times before. I'll be in St John from 27 February to 9 April. Sailing 26 March to 4 April. SCUBA C-carded, too.

Give me a call, if you wish to network. I have a couple of slots available up in Maine (Northeast Harbor --- Bar Harbor ---- Mt. Desert Island and Pennobscot Bay) in July on an often - privately - chartered Hinckley 41. I am looking to be out around the third week of July. I'm somewhat flexible. Also, I will be sailing Goreme in Turkey soon ---- October and in New Zealand, too.

Rick 617-903-0132 Boston

Last edited by Saltydog60; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugsmith98 View Post
Trellis Bay has a nice "artsy" area and a nice resteraunt...
We really liked Trellis Bay when we were there last week. The Cyber Cafe was OK. But if the "nice restaurant" that you were referring to is De Loose Mongoose, it is out of business right now. A new owner tried to get it up and running for the holidays, but the chef they hired never showed up for work, so it's still not going yet. The open air bar is usually open, but no restaurant there at this time.

The other nice restaurant that you may have been referring to is The Last Resort. It is still in business and I hear it's really nice, but they closed after lunch on Sunday, Jan. 6, so we could not try them out for dinner. Be sure to call ahead for their hours - don't count on them being open.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 01-13-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013

bobnpaula is on a distinguished road

for your first time make the first day's sail a short one to get used to the boat and get someplace nice quickly, eg Norman Island, or Deadman's Bay for the afternoon, then proceed to Cooper Island. I agree with previous poster, hit the spots you hear about most often, on the first trip you must see things like the Baths and Gorda Sound. Each anchorage has something to offer. We like, in no particular order, Cane Garden Bay, Little Harbour on Jost Van Dyke, Cooper Island, Gorda Sound (Leverick Bay, Saba Rock), fun restaurant in Trellis Bay, the Rock Cafe on Virgin Gorda (stay in VG Yacht Harbor). ... its all good, especially when it is winter back home! BVI is a perfect place for a first-time charter. Have fun!
Old 08-06-2014

dinghygoddess is on a distinguished road

Don't miss Monkey Point in Guana Island. You will have the beach to yourself. The Dogs have amazing snorkeling. Obviously The Baths are not to be missed. The Bitter End is an easy anchorage and you can get off the big boat and have a nice dinner on the beach. Don't miss Strawberry at Sidney's Love and Peace in Jost Van Dyke. Sadly the father passed away but Strawberry, the daughter, is amazing. Food was great, bar is on the honor system, and it's a short dinghy ride. Waterlemon Bay in St. John has the best snorkeling EVER!!!