SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Caribbean (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/)
-   -   BVI -Ferry - St Thomas to Road Town (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/caribbean/96297-bvi-ferry-st-thomas-road-town.html)

RachaelMKE64 02-02-2013 12:47 PM

BVI -Ferry - St Thomas to Road Town

Hi, we are taking a ferry from Charlotte Amelie to Road Town where we'll get our boat. Last year we used Road Town Fast Ferry and it was a waste of a day. The Ferry was scheduled to leave at 12 noon. The boat didn't arrive at the terminal until about 2:30. I understand island time but that was a very long wait without a hammock. Last year our party consisted of four adults so we could bide the time with a few beers and cocktails. This year we are traveling with our 3 kids and while they aren't babies, not even close (12, 16, 17) they will go crazy with nothing to do in that little waiting area if we have to wait 2 and 1/2 hours. Here is my question. Has anyone used a different ferry with better schedules? Can anyone recommend a different company that goes to Road Town? Is there any other way to get to Road Town?
Looking forward to your input. Thanks,
Rachael

Minnewaska 02-02-2013 02:00 PM

Re: BVI -Ferry - St Thomas to Road Town

There are a few ferries that all leave from the same place. Just check for the next one leaving, when you get there. You may want to be sure it is going directly to Road Town and not stopping at Red Hook or Sopers, or somewhere on the way. No need to book in advance.

RachaelMKE64 02-02-2013 02:06 PM

It's spring break and the Spring Regatta so I'm a little concerned about crowds. You still think it's okay without reservations?

Minnewaska 02-02-2013 04:53 PM

I know there are others that have been there during the regatta, but I have not. Still, my best guess is that no reservations are necessary.

I have done it both ways, with and without reservations. Didn't matter.

RachaelMKE64 02-02-2013 05:46 PM

Thanks!

MMR 02-02-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachaelMKE64 (Post 984716)
It's spring break and the Spring Regatta so I'm a little concerned about crowds. You still think it's okay without reservations?

We've never made reservations - just shown up and bought a ticket for the next ferry. Never a problem.

captainjay 02-02-2013 09:08 PM

Reservations will be worthless and could be expensive, they aren't transferable don't buy round trip. As on any given day there is no way to determine which boats will run or at what time. Just get to the terminal and buy a ticket for which ever boat is actually there.
Jay

RachaelMKE64 02-02-2013 11:41 PM

Thanks!

bobnpaula 02-04-2013 09:25 PM

agree with above. We have never made reservations, just take taxi to where you want to leave from, and take the next ferry. This year we'll be going from Red Hook to West End (charter is Horizon out of Nanny Cay). Google BVI ferries and you will find the website where the different ferry companies and their (approximate) schedules are listed. Pay close attention to what day of the week you will arrive, and check times of ferries on that specific day. It varies. We did find that the taxi drivers know exactly what ferry will work for you when they pick you up at the airport. They'll tell you, "oh, you won't make Charlotte Amalie, but you'll make the next one at Red Hook" or vice versa. I understand why you want to nail it down traveling with kids, but best to go with the flow, and it works out fine.

RachaelMKE64 02-04-2013 09:36 PM

Thanks bobnpaula! We're spending the night in Charlotte Amalie and then spending the night on the boat before heading out. But none of our brains will be on island time yet and everyone will anxious and excited to get to Road Town. Just wanting a smooth and uneventful passage. Can't wait to get there!