Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013

SV Glossa is on a distinguished road
Need advice on planning a cruise

My wife and I are liveaboards and would like to take a long cruise in a couple of years, with our two kids, perhaps from the Bahamas back to Seattle. Can you recommend a resource for planning a cruise along this route? I'd like to come up with a few different routes and compare them in terms of prevailing winds and currents at different times of the year. I want to compare options.

Two years is not very far away. I feel like it would be easier to set plans in motion if we had a rough itinerary. For example, where will we be when I have to attend my annual training with the Army Reserve?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on planning a cruise

Man plans, God Laughs.
Old 03-05-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Need advice on planning a cruise

While planning is a lot of fun, the reality of cruising is going to be quite different and your route and timing will bear no resemblance to your plans.

I'd start off with Jimmy Cornell's book "World Cruising Routes" and/or his newer book (whose title currently escapes me, the other book is at my nav-station bookshelf). That will give you a rought idea of routes, expected weather at various times of the year and suggestions as to passage routing.

Armed with that information you can plan the first 2-3 passages. I'd recommend doing no more than that. At your first ports of call you'll meet other cruisers and will hear stories and receive timely information from those who've just "been there, done that" and as a result your plans will change. It is no use revising the original plan to include the new destination(s) or avoiding others - just keep the resources to hand and an eye on the seasons (hurricane/typhoon depending on which side of the continent) and plan the next 1-2 or perhaps 3 destinations and allow your plans to be flexible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
cruise , planning