Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida to Bahamas in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by c. breeze View Post
It's very possible that this whole idea is simply terrible ... Duh.

The executive summary portion of the post...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
Wife agreed with you

Ya you must have been talking to her. She,is not going i thought i could con her into riding the ferry from miami. I got a buddy with a king air and she wont fly.
This is going to be a solo trip as my kids agree with the wife. Its ok they,are new to the water. Maybe next year on something bigger with the kids.
Me and the Cal will be there this year. If i wanted easy i would run sonething big and real fast. The whole point is slowing down.
Old 03-18-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

You're in the realm of reality now. Get a solar panel and a tiller pilot. Spaghetti, zatarains , oatmeal.

Fishing gear- bring that too. Lots of mahi to eat. And snapper grouper lobster conch. Weather weather weather. Also keep an eye on the weather.

Bring sunscreen. It's 20-40 bucks a tube down that way. Keep at least one eye on Teh weather. Now that there aren't a million people comin along its starting to sound fun. You will feel like a badass when you drop the hook and are getting ready to clear in. Or you'll feel like you'll never be able to get back by yourself.

I've sailed back a couple times with friends who "couldn't" - read that wouldn't- sail back alone.

A month or so seems like a long time in a 20 footer. I stick by the 2 week trip with another 2 2 weeks buffer for weather- with a couple few big passages and some gunkholing.

The quality of your photography and yarnspinning will have great effect in the outcome o future sailing ventures- so far as enlistin the you guns as crew is concerns. The wife may not come around. Might need a big flat boat like a cat to get her on board. Ugh.
Old 03-19-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Crossing the Gulf Stream when the weather is against you, even in a much larger boat than the one that you are taking, can kill you. No joke. People die doing this.

You need to read all you can about the sort of conditions that you will need to wait for before you go across, or come back. And then you really need to wait. Don't let your schedule push you into making stupid decisions.

Beyond that, you may have some trouble finding a ramp that can handle a boat with more than 3' of draft. I used to sail a San Juan 23 down in that area, but with the board up it only drew a foot and a half. Even at that, there were some ramps where I was darned glad that I had a 4WD pickup with a big engine in it, because I had to back all the way down until my rear tires were in the water before the boat would float.

Good luck, and please, be careful. Just because it doesn't look all that far on a chart, that doesn't mean this is an easy crossing. It can very literally kill you.
Old 03-20-2013

Thanks for all the info. I do not take any water lightly. Weather is the whole key. If i go down ans spend two weeks sitting.in a marina and never get the weather it would still be more fun than working. And by the way for all the Florida people that think that the great lakes are calm come up and ride out a storm.
Old 03-20-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
Thanks for all the info. I do not take any water lightly. Weather is the whole key. If i go down ans spend two weeks sitting.in a marina and never get the weather it would still be more fun than working. And by the way for all the Florida people that think that the great lakes are calm come up and ride out a storm.
If it is not suitable to cross to the Bahamas head south Miami Biscayne bay etc great cruising for a small boat.
Old 03-20-2013

Ya I should be able to find something to keep busy. There are many days up here the big boats do not leave the docks. It is still fun sitting around listen to everyones stories and talking about boats. I figure I can spend sometime waiting for good weather if not I can look around florida for a bit and try it next year. I am self employed so not Super time pressed but the wife might choke me if I left here with the kids for too long. I want to sail Cape Fear and Sandusky before the summer is over.
Old 03-20-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

The entire Atlantic Ocean funnels through the Gulf Stream. Not all at once obviously. No one has anything to say about storms on lake eerie other than- they are not the same thing at all from what you will encounter in the stream in a cold front.

So try not to get bogged down in making comparison to what seems familiar- and go see something new and different. Join the ranks of those who can decide for themselves just how different the they are.

You really need to make this trip. The whole poin being ITS NOTHING LIKE LAKE EERIE. you'll like it.
eddie nelson likes this.
Old 03-20-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post

Sailed em both (Lake Michigan) and the Altantic off of FLorida. NO comparison. On a mild day, the Gulfstream has bigger waves than most days on the Great Lakes. Yes, the lakes get nasty in gales...but Gulfstream gets downright brutal in that same wind pattern.

Last edited by night0wl; 03-20-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2013

I was watching some video on youtube of middle.of.the road weather. On the stream an it did not.look fun and that was.on a.32
But there have been a ton on wwp19