Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Caribbean
 Not a Member? 

Caribbean East and West and including the big islands and the east coast of Central America and Northern littoral of S. America

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida to Bahamas in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
I was watching some video on youtube of middle.of.the road weather. On the stream an it did not.look fun and that was.on a.32
But there have been a ton on wwp19

Middle of the road weather (SE 10-15) makes for a Gulfstream that has these long rollers with an occasional steep wave. Unfortunately, the winds are usually coming in the direction you want to go, unless you are leaving from Key Largo!

Winter Passages to Bahamas (November - April)
Winds are usually a bit stronger...mostly from Southeast, with regular cold fronts moving through about 1x a week. Most people wait for a slow moving front to approach SE Florida. In advance of the front, the winds clock around to the SE to S/SW, then NW...then start HONKING out of the NE. Most people will ride that S/SW into Bimini/West End then get to a Marina to ride out the full brunt of the NE. Dont even *THINK* about being caught in the Gulfstream in a strong NE wind. We race along the coast of Fort Lauderdale, and the lip of the Gulfstream in winds above 15 knots from the NE is steep, BIG seas.

Spring/Summer Passages to Bahamas (May - October)
Winds moderate...but are generally from the Southeast at 7-15. The thing to do is to make sure the daily, afternoon showers dont extend too late into night. After these showers pass, the winds usually die to nothing. Then around 10 pm, you leave and motor or motor sail as much as you can to Bimini. You're there by sunrise...sometimes a bit faster. In which case, cast a few lines at the ledge where the waters go from thousands of feet deep to much less. You're almost guaranteed to catch a Mahi. If you hook one, remember to keep it on the line and let it thrash a bit...Mahi are dumb and canibalistic, and will come at the hooked fish...encountering your other lines, resulting in multiple catches.
Old 03-21-2013

campuscab is on a distinguished road
So.where ia the best place tonstage and leave florida from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by campuscab View Post
So.where ia the best place tonstage and leave florida from
Depends on 2 things. Where are you going and how well your boat points!

I live in Fort Lauderdale. We exit from Port Everglades and hang a right turn, trying to stay in 25 feet of water (you feel really close to shore) so that we can make our southing. There is usually a southward eddy that gives you 1/2 a knot this close to shore...but that depends on the position of the stream. Watch out for the buoys that line the shore in...you guessed it...25 feet of water You go as far south as you're willing to go, but I tend to make my turn to the east at around Haulover Inlet. I'm usually able to motorsail to bimini from there.

Some people leave Cape Florida light (as they exit No Name Harbor or Nixons anchorage).

People from West Palm tend to head to West End instead of Bimini. Angles are easier.
Old 03-24-2013

The plan

I think I have it figured out. I found a storage place around key Biscayne that I can leave the truck and trailer for a month or two. Leave from no name harbor to Bimini. I need to a Marina with,a lift as a van and a 3.5 keel equal no fun to launch. When I get to Bimini I can plan from there where to go from there.
Old 03-24-2013

c. breeze is on a distinguished road

Dinner key marina and grove key marina. Something like that. They are both in coconut grove - right across biscayne bay from no name harbor- well actually like across from key biscayne yacht club. One if those two should be able to launch you. No name to Bimini is alright- but if you are waiting on weather- keep heading south- just to make Bimini an easier shot.
Old 03-24-2013

How far south should i go then
Old 03-24-2013

marianclaire is on a distinguished road

Campuscab you just have to do the math. A simple system. Rhumb line distance/ boat speed, to get time of crossing, TOC X ave gulf stream speed and you can estimate how far north you will be pushed. So start at least that far south of you destination and hope for perfect conditions. Maybe Pumpkin Key??? There is a bunch of info on crossing out there. I have only made one round trip so FWIW. But do pick your window well.
As far as Abacos vs Fla Keys. Well they are different but the Keys in no way "suck". I have the same draft and have had a ball banging around the gulf side of the Keys. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 09-10-2014

gatorsteven586 is on a distinguished road

Awesome! I would love to do this route some day!
Old 3 Days Ago

Mario Trottier is on a distinguished road

Is it safe to cross with a 32 ft Catalina ?
Old 3 Days Ago
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

We had a Catalina 27 anchored with us at Allan's Cay last year. Obviously, they survived the crossing.

Ralph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.