SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Catalina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/)
-   -   Cat 27-What is the hole under starboard side? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/100402-cat-27-what-hole-under-starboard-side.html)

postwarcomet27 06-12-2013 12:49 AM

Cat 27-What is the hole under starboard side?

Hey guys

Looking at buying a Catalina 27. The boat is out of the water and on stands. After looking over the exterior of the hull I noticed a small hole about 1.5-2" in diameter on the starboard side. It's not the water intake. It's About where the head is located. Can anyone tell me what this is? It's a perfect hole and it doesn't feel like it goes very far through the hull. Seems like it's supposed to be there, just checking to see if it is before I get it in the water.

Thanks
Jared

jimgo 06-12-2013 09:13 AM

Re: Cat 27-What is the hole under starboard side?

Did you happen to take a picture? Is it above or below the waterline?

postwarcomet27 06-12-2013 10:08 AM

Jimgo - Didn't get a picture. Ill be there tomorrow again, depending on weather so ill get one. It is under the water line. I'm wondering if it is supposed to be there or if someone drilled through to create a drain while it was on the hard for 18 months.
Thanks

follysurf 06-12-2013 10:43 AM

On my C-27 there were 3 holes on the starboard side. One was for the head, one had the depth finder sensor and the 3rd has a knot meter.

Faster 06-12-2013 10:53 AM

Is it an actual hole, or a plumbed connection? In all likelihood it is/was the overboard discharge for the head..

postwarcomet27 06-12-2013 11:22 AM

Faster -It looks like it could be plumbing for the head. That's what I thought it was but the owner was unsure about it when I asked him. It sits right under where the head is. I stuck my finger in it and it didn't feel like it went in too far.

Faster 06-12-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by postwarcomet27 (Post 1043133)
Faster -It looks like it could be plumbing for the head. That's what I thought it was but the owner was unsure about it when I asked him. It sits right under where the head is. I stuck my finger in it and it didn't feel like it went in too far.

It shouldn't... there should be a seacock/shutoff on the line as near the hull as possible - and it was probably closed.

CarbonSink62 06-12-2013 01:51 PM

You might want to wash your finger. ;)

Jgbrown 06-24-2013 12:37 AM

The one closer to waterline is intake, one closer to keel is outlet.
Washing finger recommended, then open seacock underneath dinette and look up the hole if you're really curious. Check the lower main bulkhead for water at the same time.