Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Life in a Catalina

I'm looking at sailboats. My wife really wants a motoryacht, not that she likes big engines, and burning thousands of dollars in gas, but Most motor yachts have comfortable luxurious cabins, and most sailboats,.....Well. You COULD sleep in one, but,......

I recently took her to see a 1998 catalina 30, AND she likes it!

A look over on her rigging, and hull appears to be adecent midrange sailing craft. I know there are millions of them out there.

In my dreams I buy a salty "bluewater" Ketch, and sail to Tahiti. But in practice, I cruise up & down the Texas coast, and maybe cut across the Gulf to Key west once a year.

So other than being a not really configured for a major storm, what am I looking at?

A full keel is more stable, but a good heavy fin keel will do ok. I recently went through a larger storm than anticipated in the Gulf in a 23' swing keel.

Any boat I buy has GOT to be better than that.

A fixed keel, and solid rigging with a storm sail, in a 30 footer should be able to take a moderate pounding with no problem.

SO what are YOUR experiences?

What have you done in a Catalina?

Major storms?

Trips across the Gulf?

Sailed to Bahamas, or Key west?
Old 05-05-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Life in a Catalina

I'm not at home right now but I have the bookmarks there of some Catalina blogs. One from Texas did the ICW and blogged along the way up north. Another is sailing in the Pacific islands.

We haven't taken ours onto the ocean, and probably won't. That wasn't why we chose it. What we gained in comfort at anchor/slip we lose in comfort in heavy weather. So we avoid the heavy weather as much as possible. Otherwise, for where we are, we're fine with the performance.

The company was originally based in California and there are quite a few on the coast.

If I wanted to take it to the Keys, I'd make sure I had a dinghy as the 5'3" draft of the fin keel may not get us too close in many cases if I'm reading the charts correctly.

Catalina has a very strong owners association and the C30 yahoo list is very active and helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Life in a Catalina

I used to have a Catalina 30, now have a C-34. Never did lots of traveling in it...mostly short hops, but I see no reason why a C-30 won't do what you are asking of it. I might suggest finding one with a showl draft to get you in skinnier waters. My 30 had the 5' fin and my 34 has a 4' wing. I really like that extra 1' of clearance.

A suggestion...take a look at an early 90's C-34 as well...just for the heck of it. If you ever travel with others, they will appreciate the much larger, private aft cabin.