Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006

heaaron is on a distinguished road
Convert Anchor Roller for CQR

I have a 2005 Catalina 387 with the factory dual anchor rollers. I find that the anchor roller really does not work very well with my CQR anchor. I'm interested in having the anchor roller replaced or modified to better accommodate the CQR.

Has any else tried this? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hearon... I don't know what type of anchor your present rollers are designed for...but it may be less expensive and less work simply to buy an anchor that works rather than re-so the entire bow especially since CQR's don't perform all that well. (I do own a CQR!).
What anchor does Catalina specify?
Old 11-12-2006

Catalina Anchor Rollers

I don't think Catalina specifies any particular anchor since anchor selection seem to be highly dependant on the cruising grounds. I'm on the Chesapeake bay and the 45 lb CQR seems to hold when all the anchors are dragging. Plus, it is a fairly new $600 anchor, so I'd like to make work. I have to replace the anchor roller anyway because the existing one was bent when a docking powerboat accidentally hooked us this summer.
Old 11-13-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Understood. Well... if it is simply a matter of replacement then you can just buy a suitable new roller and then bolt it on making sure you use the existing backing plates or having new ones fabricated.
Here's some roller specs...the CRM-1 looks like the appropriate one for you.
http://www.windline.com/diagram.html

We had a custom dual roller arrangement mounted to a stainless steel plate with appropriate backing fabricated for our Irwin44 some years ago and it set us back a couple of grand so using stock stuff if suitable is the way to go.
Old 11-13-2006

Anchor Roller for CQR

That's helpful. Thanks,
Old 11-13-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaaron
I don't think Catalina specifies any particular anchor since anchor selection seem to be highly dependant on the cruising grounds. I'm on the Chesapeake bay and the 45 lb CQR seems to hold when all the anchors are dragging. Plus, it is a fairly new $600 anchor, so I'd like to make work. I have to replace the anchor roller anyway because the existing one was bent when a docking powerboat accidentally hooked us this summer.
Not to try to turn this into another anchor debate, but heaaron the fact that you'd like to make it work simply because the anchor's worth a certain amount isn't going to actually make it work once it's on the seabed. Camaraderie is correct. Furthermore, a CQR is not ideal for the Chesapeake, owing to its small fluke area which doesn't offer adequate resistance in mud.

Perhaps you could take a look at the recent SAIL testing.

Failing that, one of the issues you need to watch for with the CQR is the articulated shank, which may allow the fluke to rock about when it's on the roller.

Photos of your bow may be helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 11-14-2006

CQR Anchor Roller

I'll take some photos next time I'm at the boat. I'm not opposed to replacing the anchor with one that works better on the stock roller if I can find an anchor that holds as well as the CQR in the Chesapeake mud. I'l study the Sail report, although at first glance, they appear to have tested in the sand. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaaron
I'll take some photos next time I'm at the boat. I'm not opposed to replacing the anchor with one that works better on the stock roller if I can find an anchor that holds as well as the CQR in the Chesapeake mud. I'l study the Sail report, although at first glance, they appear to have tested in the sand. Thanks.
The SAIL testing was in sand, and the CQR did badly because it couldn't set, but this is why it is good testing in general. Any anchor can set in soft stuff. The test illustrates the problems with poor anchors, sorts the men from the boys so to speak. The differences in performance are exacerbated, with failures appearing in a harsh light.

Further to that, you won't have much trouble finding an anchor that holds better than a CQR in the Chesapeake. Anything but a Bruce, Fisherman, or bit of rock on a string.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 11-14-2006
moderate?

Craig obviously has a product to sell but I would second his opinion about CQR's in soft mud as an owner of several CQR's over the years and a Bay Sailor for 22 years!
I've had good luck in lots of places with my Delta but I also have friends who swear by their Rocnas and Spades. But let's get back to the roller thread! Any other questions?
Old 11-19-2006

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I use my CQR #35 on a Cat 36 and it has held in a 60K wind. It has always reset after turning on the anchor and I have never had trouble on the initial setting. I have used it on a variety of bottoms as well. I bought a dual anchor carrier from a place in Barrie, Ontario for less than $1000, which works fine for CQRs. Check around I'm sure you can find a retrofit roller assembly that will work fine with your CQR. BTW you'll probaly need it for the ROCNA as well.