Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007

gjw0920 is on a distinguished road
Some excellent reading. thanks for the link.

As an owner of a 1978 Catalina 38 I think there are some differences and similarities worth mentioning.

The Catalina 38 was a surprisingly well made and well designed boat as we know from S&S. More displacement than a 34 and that is always better. Hull design is robust. Rig and hardware have stood up well since this boat was selected for the Congressional Cup races.

Biggest similarity and drawback is the shallow bilge.

Aside from that obvious weakness, the CAT 38 sails well has good stability and handles higher winds and seas than a CAT 34.

Finally, many of the failures were not boat specific, some were. And many of the failures that were not boat specific could have happened to anyone on any size boat. As to the steering failure; that always is a fear and needs to be carefully checked out on any boat.

Would I circumnavigate on my Catalina 38; maybe in three years after I have carefully upgraded her of any known weaknesses. Would I prefer to be in a heavier displacement hull and better built boat....probably yes, but then that is true for many boats who circumnavigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007

gjw0920 is on a distinguished road
CAT 38 ocean crossings

Oh, I forgot to add, I know of a number of these models who have done well in the Newport Bermuda race, etc.
Old 08-24-2007

Hunter07 is on a distinguished road
I think I read somewhere that unlike all other Catalina's the 38 was originally designed for offshore racing
Old 10-18-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Thanks all for your replies.
The time is getting closer and I have a long YachtWorld list of posibilities, I just dont want to discount a nice boat for a one off trip back to Australia.
This may/will be its only true ocean crossing as coastal Australia is just perfect. But I may, if all goes well sell the boat in Aus and do it all again. life is too short to sit still.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 10-31-2007

ronaldsmlotek is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie: Is your opinion based on the SIZE of the Catalina, or would you hold the same of ANY Catalina, say a 45 footer? Is it your view that even a 45 ft. Catalina (or Hunter) would be unsafe in crossing, say, the Atlantic? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ronald...since I wrote that in May, I have concluded based on facts offered by others that the 38 is perhaps built a bit better than the others. I think safety is a relative thing and something which we each have to find our own comfort level about. I do not have experience on every boat ever built by beneteau, hunter,catalina, jeanneau, bavaria but I know enough about them to say that for myself, I would never trust my life and my family to one crossing an ocean. I want something built to higher standards and designed for extended time at sea. I like skeg hung rudders, hull structures that do not flex in heavy seas, tankage and weight carrying capability suited to cruising and a sea kindly motion that doesn't have me needing my kidneys checked after a couple of days to windward.
That does not mean I need a BIG boat. Lots of boats meet those criteria including some modern ones. MANY people have crossed in production boats and many will defend THEIR production boat as blue water capable. It is all about your tolerance for risk. Will anyone argue that a Tayana 37 or a Valiant 40 is going to be a better boat to be on than a Cat38 or Legend37 in a 3 day gale at sea??
As alway...the more experienced and competent a sailor you are...the less boat you need!
Old 11-02-2007

ronaldsmlotek is on a distinguished road
Camaraderie: Thank you very much for your thoughtful, detailed response.

I fully understand your reasoning. Makes sense. But it does prompt several further questions. Please forgive me if you have answered these before here. I am a brand newcomer.

(1) Have you personally crossed an ocean, and if so in what sort of boat?

(2) Do your comments about the monohull brands you mentioned apply equally to multihulls: Fontaine Pajot, Lagoon, etc.? Do these raise the same concerns as regards hull flex, sea motion, and so forth?

As regards question #2, I'm sure you know that all the Lagoons and Fontaine Pajots are sailed across the Atlantic for delivery to the US. I believe many of the South African models are as well. So we know they can make it, one-way at least.
Old 11-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Roland...I have NOT crossed an ocean. I have done extended blue water offshore and in the caribbean and I extrapolate some of those conditions to a 3 week passage when I speak of boats I wouldn't want to cross oceans in. We cruised and lived on board full time for 6 years as well while making such passages. A have owned 6 production type sailboats (including 2 catalinas) ranging up to 44 feet in size before purchasing my current boat and I would not cross an ocean in any of the production boats I owned.

I have no personal experience on cats so others opinions will be more valid than mine. I just don't like 'em but understand why others do. There are lots of threads here on cats vs. monohulls you can search on in terms of the benefits and drawbacks of each and I assume someone will be along shortly to describe the difference between a coastal and blue water cat.

What is your actual sailing experience and what are your own long term plans and budget and perhaps we can be more helpful to your specific needs?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.