Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007

saurav16 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to saurav16
Catalina 27 70's era Maintenance Question

Hi all,

I had a quick question for all you Catalina 27 owners, 70's era, out there. What are your annual maintenance costs for your boat on average not including slip/mooring or winter storage fees, and insurance? I am thinking about getting a Catalina 27 from the 70's. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I have a late 80s model. It's too hard to estimate. Every boat has different needs/problems. The trick is finding one that doesn't have too many!
Old 07-08-2007
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
I just obtained (last March) an '81 C27. Other than upgrades (new radio, etc) the on ly maintence I have had to do is routine cleaning. Last week I lost a running light, bulb became loose in it's socket. The bulb was cheap, but at the same time I went ahead and extended the wiring for the running lights in the anchorwell. They were all just too tight and while I was in there I lengthened them to very out of the way when dealing with the anchor. I also added a check valve to the bilge pump line. I looked long and hard to find a good boat in good condition, I think I found her and am happy.

Mine is an outboard model and I will haul the motor after the season (Chesapeake Bay sails until November) and have it winterized/serviced for next year.

Joe McCary
Aeolus II
West River, MD
Old 07-09-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
I take it you've never heard the old saying, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into"? Seriously, I personally don't think the maintenance cost are such a big deal, if you are able to do the work yourself, and you try to do it for as cheap as possible. The real problem for me at least are the constant upgrades. It can get a little addicting, adding new stuff all the time; new blocks, new line, new halyards, new winch covers, etc, etc. Things that you can do without, but things, you just gotta have.
Old 10-18-2007

mgalligan is on a distinguished road
Including things like bottom paint, but not including trucking or mooring permit fees, $1000 a year.
On a horrible year (the Atomic four inboard needed 30 hrs of labor and $500 of parts) I spent $3500 on maintenance.
Old 10-18-2007

Catalina274me is on a distinguished road
Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud View Post
I take it you've never heard the old saying, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into"? Seriously, I personally don't think the maintenance cost are such a big deal, if you are able to do the work yourself, and you try to do it for as cheap as possible. The real problem for me at least are the constant upgrades. It can get a little addicting, adding new stuff all the time; new blocks, new line, new halyards, new winch covers, etc, etc. Things that you can do without, but things, you just gotta have.

You sound alot like me.
But, I just call it a BOAT: Bring Out Another Thousand
Old 01-09-2008

SAILMONSTER is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to SAILMONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16 View Post
Hi all,

I had a quick question for all you Catalina 27 owners, 70's era, out there. What are your annual maintenance costs for your boat on average not including slip/mooring or winter storage fees, and insurance? I am thinking about getting a Catalina 27 from the 70's. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
HI, I have a 75 Catalina with a Yanmar. The boat is great. Insurance is not bad but it is based on cost. Mine is around $400 for the year. Other cost is just basics, maintaing diesel, bottom cleaning etc... I am in FL so it is in the water all the time. You will enjoy it. Big enough to weekend, small enough to throw around in heavy winds.

Good luck!

Jason