Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007

GentleBreeze is on a distinguished road
Retirement on Catalina 350

Anybody out there retirement age and sailing or cruising on a Catalina 350?
Has it been a good choice?
Looking for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'm sure our resident Catalina guy will have some words of wisdom for you tomorrow. But it would help if you were more definitive on your plans. Such as, long term, bluewater cruising, or coastal cruising, for example. Number of people, rough budget for purchase, will also be factors.

Good luck with your search though.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Pardon me GentleBreeze, just posting to bring this to the attention of someone else. That means you CD.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Dear Gentlebreeze,

I realize of course that you are a man of excellent mind and breeding. Do you have any offspring? If so, damn guy must be a genious!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-02-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
For those who do not know, Gentlebreeze is my mom and dad.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-03-2007

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Gentlebreeze--

I just posted on the thread you son started on "Buying a Boat." I bought a 2003 Catalina 350 at age 55. I retired a year and a half ago and will be 60 this August. The 350 was launched a week ago and we are beginning our fifth season with the boat.

I bought the boat with the idea that it would be my last sailboat (I previously owned a Catalina 22). I have been sailing for nearly 18 years, and had been compiling a list of things I'd like to have on a boat. The 350 really came close to what I was looking. I figured that 35 feet was about as much as I could handle by myself, but the boat has gotten "smaller" over the years as I gained more experience. I do single-hand frequently and, with the auto pilot and an electric winch to raise the main sail, I am able to do so without much problem.

I bought it with the idea of primarily cruising the Chesapeake Bay, with some coastal cruising. The Chesapeake Bay is so large that one could spend a lifetime cruising and exploring it. I sail out of Annapolis. Currently we do mostly day sailing, with a few two- to three-day cruises each season. We want to extend those cruises to a week or more, but with four kids close by, five grandkids, and a beach home in Delaware, the boat has some competition.

The 350 is not fast, but with a fully-battened main (most folks opt for the in-mast furling main) and a 150 genoa, she moves along smartly in good air. Very roomy and comfortable down below, with a nice pedestal berth in the forward cabin and a large transverse berth in the aft cabin. I often bail out for the aft cabin when my wife starts to snore too loudly.

I purchased Hull No. 84. They are approaching Hull 500 now, so they've been building about 100 boats a year. There is a good owners' website and most folks seem to be very happy with the boat. My wife in particular was very skittish on the 22-footer, especially in stronger air when we were heeling, but she is very comfortable on the 350. It's a lot of boat for the money, yet very easily handled, in my experience.

Yachtworld.com currently lists two 350s for sail in Texas and five for sail in Florida.
Old 04-03-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

SJ,

Thanks. We may look at the Catalina over at Grandpappys (the one on Texoma). I will share your thoughts with Pops.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-03-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
The debate goes on.
I don't think I would be comfortable living on a 35-foot boat. I believe I read somewhere in another post that your intentions were to be living aboard. That said and for me personally, I would need a little more room. I sail a 36 foot boat, although she is roomy for a family cruising, I would not want to live aboard her.
My biggest objection is not the size of the berths, but rather the access to the berths. My aft is plenty big enough for two people BUT it’s a pain in the butt, especially if you are the first one in.
It always happens that the first one in is also the first one that has to get out, so that person is climbing over the other to get out. Elbows and knees flying and lots of laughing and of course cursing and eventually you can get out of bed. Or as some times happens, the person on the outside simply denies the other access out of the berth, which of course means that somebody is stuck in bed. The aft berth is tucked under the cockpit so from your waist down you have about 2 feet of room above you. It actually is very funny for about the first year, than it becomes an annoyance. But we still love her.
The V-Berth access is slightly better. But with the V-berth you have some of the same problems. You have to negotiate into the berth, which is not that big of a deal getting in, but getting out can be a bit tricky.
Our next boat, or the boat I would like to retire on and live aboard has got to have in island berth with access from both sides like a regular bed.
I know the BLUE WATER sailors can wait to jump on that one. Absolutely no way can you have an island berth on a blue water passage maker. Well, I understand they are looking at island hopping. I didn’t see anywhere Long Range Cruisers.
For me an Island Berth would be high on my priority list. Oh yeah, and a large Head.
What does the 350 have for berths?
Old 04-03-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

TJK,

I am not sure if you were replying to me or pops. I will answer for a bit.

As far as us, yes, we are live aboard. You are correct about the berth being an issue, which is why I personally do not like Pullmans. I think I said that in a post on the 150k boat? Not sure. Anyways, I totally agree. The positive of a aft cockpit is you get a wide, comfortable berth. However, if you forget and jump up in the middle of the night, you will leave some scalp behind. On our 400 and 380, there were comfortable places to sit in the cabin to read. This is important.

The V is the most comfortable place to sleep on a boat, in my opinion. The island-type berth in the V is easy to get in/out of from both sides. That is what is on the 350. Take a look... YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

As far as the size, I would be happy with a smaller boat, personally, if I did not have kids. Kids change the entire equation. However, one of my alltime favorites is the Hylas 54 and Mason 54. Take a look at this beauty and tell me you would not be happy!!! YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-03-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Damn, our V is a typical V. No egress on either side. You have to go feet first into it.
Like the Mason, Don't particularly care for the price though.
Come on Mega Millions/Power Ball. When's the next drawing?