Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007

rhaley is on a distinguished road
C27 to C30

I currently sail a 1982 Catalina 27 that I have had for about a year. All my sailing is done on a manmade lake. I am seriously considering moving up to a Catalina 30 (in particular a 1987 tall rig that is for sale here). Has anyone moved up from the C27 to the C30? Any advice? Any thing in particular to look for (I have scoured the various C30 sites, I just looking for some real life experience). I'm looking forward to getting a boat with more interior space and an inboard engine (my C27 has an outboard motor and can be a bit of a bear to maneuver around the docks if there is any wind). The C30 seems to be the ideal boat for my use (day sailing and overnighters) for a good price. If anybody has gone this upgrade route, let me know if you are/were happy with the decision. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Having owned a C27 and chartered a C30...I would tell you to go for it and not look back. The C30 is not quite as good a performer under sail as the C27 but it is an ideal boat for your situation and you will have plenty of space on deck and below and the ability to charge batteries etc.
Old 08-15-2007

Thanks for the insight Cam. Your thoughts are the same as mine on this. I will say that with the fickle wind on this lake, the tall rig C30 seems to do as well in most of the races as us standard rig C27s. Regardless, I am not looking for a super fast boat anyway. I crew on a J/24 for fun and if my cruising boat is too fast on this lake, I have to spend too much time reversing course.
Old 08-17-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
rhaley,
I bought a 1980 C30 tall rig about a year ago, and I absolutely love her. She'a fast, and points up very well. If you have any specific questions, ask away... Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007

Thanks sailhog. Which engine does your boat have? Do you find that it has enough power (as in motoring into wind/waves)? Thanks for the info!

Ryan
Old 09-20-2007

robfinora is on a distinguished road
I bought a Catalina 30 with a Yanmar YSM12 as my first cruiser....love the boat. Easy to sail, lots of room, forgiving and yes its under powered with a YSM12 but it was rebuilt and reliable. The YSM does get her up to hull speed - just some minor issues when we have a headwind or current against us but I could live with that.

Go for it - not much of a difference from what you are sailing now but you will have tons more room! Also - the inboard diesel is great as she is quiet and charges up all my batteries with little effort so you could get more electronics.
Old 10-14-2007

keo56 is on a distinguished road
Just up-purchased C27(1983) to C30

After all the home work; here's what I found: look for a Cat 30 built in 1988 or after, hull # 5377 or <, with a M25XP engine. I now have a beautiful 1992 C30. The room and comfort is unreal!, it's alot heavier (approx. 6T vs. 3T) so once you get her moving....just plan ahead. Sort of like going from props to jets...stay ahead of the machine.

Wife and I love this boat and look forward to many overniters in the west basin of Lake Erie and Canada. Feel free to contact in PM. Best of luck in your search. You won't regret it. Flat out great, forgiving, boat.
Old 11-06-2007
s/v Akula

thomaslynch is on a distinguished road
Multiple Catalina 27 owners have gone this route that I have spoken to in original search. I went from a 23 trailerable with outboard (1 ton/w 900 pd swing keel) to a Catalina 30 in 2005.

Looked back only to contantly realize I shoudl have done it sooner. Get the 25 if you can.....although mine had a 5411 Universal and now has an M-18 (about 15 horsies) Have a Tall rig and Bowsprit.

Put almost 400 miles on her this season around Long Island Sound in up to 5 foot seas.

Roomer then 10M Pearsons, Beneteau Firsts, Pearson 303, etc. at 180-ish PHRF handicap she is a noble comeptitor and even if you loose you can have the party in YOUR boat......hell of a cruiser! I have a current friend (as well 2 of the previosu owners of my boat) who have gone to a 34 Catalina but almost all comment they did not get that much more boat just some nicer equipment and details. So staying in the brand is VERY common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.