Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007

maxmunger is on a distinguished road
I don't mean to be contrary or arguementative. I want good info distributed among the owners.
But the fact is the hull of C30 is over an inch thick of solid glass along the hull bottom and in the bilge areas. The cosmetic "cover" of glass over the wood is 1/4 or less and the amount called for recovering by Catalina is even less. The 4500# keel would never stay attached if there was only 1/4 under the bottom of the wood.

Since we both know the bolts do not stretch, then (IF) your bolts were "sinking", the only result would be that the lead keel was separated from the hull by an equal distance. And the bolt hole(s) had to be open to sea water which of course allowed water into the wood area.
Your keel was severely damaged somehow and the PO or surveyor should have noted this as a condition of sale.

As I said in the first email "Only the worst cases of grounding the keel would result in movement of the bolts causing any leaks.".
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2008

alaska67 is on a distinguished road
i had

i had to remove the plywood in my keel sump to. this was a very cheesy and bogus way to build a boat. look at most late 80's and 90's cats and you don't see the smile like you do on the plywood models. my wood was rotted and my keel bolts werre sinking in also and the fiberglass was to thin.
Old 01-10-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Max..

Max,

Unfortunately I did not take any photos of my C-30 keel re-set but I can tell you with 100% certainty there was NO WHERE near 1" of solid glass in my keel stub.

Here are a few pictures of a Pearson 26 keel that snapped off so folks will get and understand why plywood should NOT be in a keel joint.

These pictures are NOT a C-30 but simply to show the construction technique. The fiberglass laminates on my C-30 were "slightly" more robust, but not a lot more, and certainly no where near an an inch! the bottom skin on my C-30 was roughly 3/8 of an inch thick if that...

If you have plywood in your keel stub I say replace it! Remember though what you paid for my advice..

The Boat:

The Layup:

The Sinking Keel Bolts:

The Bilge Side:

The Keel Side:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-06-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
GBurton,
I believe the C30s originally came with 135% foresails. My C30TR has a 110%, and that's usually enough. If and when I upgrade, I'll go to a 135%. I think a 150% might be a bit much.
Old 02-07-2008
IC30/309 Association

mxmunger is on a distinguished road
catalina yachts did not supply sails for the early boats and perhaps not until the later MK II model. certainly they do today. Most MK I and II owners purchased separate sails.

Sails depend on where you sail. Light air calls for 155 and full mains. medium needs a 135 and heavy areas can max out with 110s and flat mains. A 100 jib and main reefs is useful in vitrually all areas for the gusty spring and fall seasons. and of course there are light , med and heavy chutes to choose from.

BTW suggest you switch to catalina30@ yahoo.com for much more advice on C30.