SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 27 weight / displacement

18K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  svwhirlwind 
#1 ·
How much should a Catalina 27, standard rig, weigh?

I hauled my boat this week and the travellift recorded it as 9000 pounds. I thought it should be around 6750 pounds, It's a standard rig (34' mast), and it has an Atomic 4 inboard. It's a 1976 model, and I'm concerned that the hull absorbs water over the summer.

Has anyone weighed one of these and how much did it come out to? Did you use a crane and a load cell, or what other method?

-Marty Galligan, Kookaburra, Beverly, MA

#2 ·
I wouldn't put too much stock in what the travel lift gives you for your boat wieght.

The rated disp for a C27 is around the figure you quoted (6240 is the number, I think), but that's the brochure number for a empty boat. With all the gear aboard, full tanks, perhaps some absorption over time, it's going to be above that, Unlikley to be up to 9000 lbs though.

#4 ·
weight varies

I have the original brochure for the 1974 Catalina 27. It states:

Balast:
Standard Keel: 2700
Shoal Keel:3150

Displacement:
Standard Keel: 6850
Shoal Keel: 7300

By the way the standard mast is 34.50' and the tall rig is 36'

The weight is going to vary by year, gear, engine choice, sails, etc.;)

#5 ·
6850 pounds is the number I've been working with. I have A4 inboard, Std rig, dinette interior. I could see the 6850 climbing up to 7300 if I have to add for the engine and mast and rig. I can believe that the travellift weight gauge is off by 1000 pounds. But that still leaves 700 pounds unspoken for. I keep many of the cushions off the boat. I'd be pretty upset if it turns out that other C27's weigh 7300#, and I'm at 8300#! It's a little hard to win a race when you're carrying an extra 1000#.

-Marty (original poster)

#6 ·
Our 1980 C27 c/w 9.9 outboard, all rigging, and equipment for extended sailing, sitting on the trailer, weighs 9000lbs. I've weighed her several times on MOT weight scales (truck weigh scales) and it never varies more than a few lbs. The trailer itself weighs 1410 lbs.

EG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.