Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008

punjabi is on a distinguished road
Compression Block Rot

Question on 1988 Catalina 30:

I've made an offer on it and I'm 6' tall. My understanding is that the cabin headroom is 6' 3". This boat had some thin carpeting. I was wearing a baseball cap and birkenstocks (both added maybe an inch of height to me. The little button on the top of my hat was touching the top of the cabin.

I did some research and I found out that some of these boats had an issue with rot in the wooden compression block under the compression post in the bilge. This particular boat has standing water in the bilge, so I'm a bit concerned. It looks like the compression block has been glassed in. Is that how they came from the factory? Should I be worried? How big of a fix is it if the block is rotting? I tapped on it and it didn't feel soft, but I didn't really have any proper tools to poke at it with.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's unlikely that there has been enough collapse to cause a 3" loss of headroom without some other obvious evidence on the cabin top profile. The headroom may be 6'3" under the hatch, but not necessarily everywhere. Certainly not at the mast, as I recall. Still, your surveyor should be able to determine if this boat has a problem with the support block you mention. I have heard of this occuring before on the 36.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-12-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Cabin headroom is usually measured at some high spot in the centerline of the cabin.

Standing water in the bilge means there will be other maintenance problems, the PO isn't taking care of business. But, if you have to ask about deck sag and compression blocks/posts--you probably want to hire a surveyor to confirm those things, and more.
Old 02-12-2008

I called Catalina and they told me the same, that the 6'3" figure is probably under the hatch, so I feel better about that.

The water in the bilge is a concern, but the only thing I saw that looked neglected. The boat has been on the market since last June, so my guess is that the PO isn't spending much time on upkeep. I didn't see any leaking under the stuffing box, so I think the standing water must be fresh that leaked in during our recent rains. The keel bolts are nice and shiny, so I don't think it is a chronic problem.

I'll definitely have a surveyor check it out. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 02-12-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Track down Maxmunger I think his name is. He posts here some and is the guru of C-30's.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.

Last edited by SailorMitch; 02-12-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Punjabi, the nice thing about "just" clearing the overhead, is that when the boat is tossing around you can just stand really erect and jam your head against the overhead, bracing yourself in place even if there's nothing convenient to reach for. IMO, that's a good custom fit.<G>
Old 02-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Punjabi, the nice thing about "just" clearing the overhead, is that when the boat is tossing around you can just stand really erect and jam your head against the overhead, bracing yourself in place even if there's nothing convenient to reach for. IMO, that's a good custom fit.<G>
Ha!

Maybe I'll get one of those Cheesehead hats to give a little cushion.
Old 04-21-2009

Kpipes68 is on a distinguished road
Replacing the compression block

I have recently dug my compression block out (1981 catalina 30') it was pretty well rotted. I do not have any signs of deck sag and no spider webs around the mast. I am looking for suggestions on the easiest and best way to replace it. does anyone have any information?