SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Catalina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/)
-   -   Catalina 310 Forward Bulkhead Deflection (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/40563-catalina-310-forward-bulkhead-deflection.html)

pchazel 02-13-2008 06:47 PM

Catalina 310 Forward Bulkhead Deflection

When I tuned the rigging last year (Loos gauge) I noticed that the forward bulkhead just aft the V-berth had a deflection about 1/2". The door would still close but the door jam had a noticeable bulge. Our Catalina 310 is a 2000 model, do the newer models have any kind of door jam stiffener or support?

duffer1960 02-15-2008 10:37 AM

It sounds like you may have a problem with the bulkhead. I would check all of the mounting and tabbing points and check for anything loose.

BlandingFarm 03-18-2008 11:32 AM

Warranty

This was a warranty issue on the earlier boats. Contact you local Catalina dealer and he can provide instructions for fix

pchazel 04-21-2008 08:14 AM

Thanks BlandingFarm for the info. Unfortunately, our local dealer has ceased association with Catalina for several reasons. His Catalina line is in the process of being transferred to another unknown dealer at this time. I will check as soon as I can. Do you have a farm?

pchazel 06-16-2008 11:36 AM

Compression Post Shim

After a couple of phone calls to Catalina, I received a 1/2" shim to place under the compression post in our Cat 310 #12. The post is 1/2" too short and when we tightened the backstay, the downward force was shared by the bulkhead aft of the V-berth.
I made up a blocking arrangement which included a 12 ton bottle jack and over a several hour period I gently increased upward pressure just forward of the compression post. When I had the 1/2" gap under the lower plate I slipped in the shim, lined up the screw holes and gradually let off the pressure. I shot a little 3M 5200 in the screw holes and installed new screws (1/2" longer than the original).
Sorry to say, I did not take pictures. I did not want my wife to see a 12 ton jack in the V-berth so no pics and she was not allowed on board until all was finished.
I can give more detailed instructions and sketch a diagram for those that are interested.

portfolio 04-03-2009 02:03 PM

Is this a problem with all earlier 310's or is it an issue with just a few?

Thinking about buying a 310 this spring but now unsure.

Thx
Alan

pchazel 05-06-2009 07:17 PM

I believe it was an issue with some of the first 310's. My hull no. is 12 so she was very early in the line. If you find a 310 you are interested in, contact Gerry Douglas at Catalina to see if it would be an issue with your hull no. (727-544-6681).

Dreaming 10-01-2013 05:13 PM

Re: Catalina 310 Forward Bulkhead Deflection

Hello,

I'm terribly sorry about Necroing an old thread. I checked out the forum rules and I didn't see anything mentioning old threads specifically. However I am Trying to Reach Pchazel and apparently my post count is not high enough to do so yet.

I am having this same forward bulkhead deflection problem on my 2000 C-310. I contacted Gerry Douglas at Catalina however he did not seem to indicate that it was a known issue. I have Hull #31. I am interested in the process that Pchazel used to insert the shim, particularly, how to handle the standard rigging during the process, how to determine the size of shim needed, if Catalina sent the shim to him directly, etc...

If anyone else can contribute or advise my on how to jack up the compression post I would be very appreciative.