SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Catalina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/)
-   -   know where I can get a mast for Cat 30? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/43675-know-where-i-can-get-mast-cat-30-a.html)

mastless 05-29-2008 07:04 PM

know where I can get a mast for Cat 30?

I was demasted on Monday and am in need of a new mast for my 1984 Catalina 30. It was a standard rig. Anyone know where I should even start looking? I'm in Tampa, FL. Thanks for the help!

Faster 05-29-2008 07:28 PM

Hold on!! You don't get off that easy... we need the story first!:)

djodenda 05-29-2008 07:56 PM

The Catalina 30 Association has a very active forum. Try here

International Catalina 30 Association

And, Faster is right, you do owe us the story.

I think you will have good luck in finding one, because the boat is so popular, and many are getting a bit long in the tooth.

David

mastless 05-29-2008 09:11 PM

still need mast

Sailing Monday afternoon in Tampa Bay under full sail, had sudden gust of about 30 knots and took a knock down. Starboard chain plate parted, mast folded like a bad hand in poker. Lost the brand new roller furling. Nationwide refuses to pay. When was the last time you saw your policy and not just a dec sheet and bill? Be sure to get your policy out and read it! Also dig your deck away from the chain plates and inspect them.... adjuster says it was my responsibilty to inspect the chain plate between the deck! (The hidden part) Can you believe it????? So now here I am with no insurance, a huge estimated repair bill and am looking for some help! HELP!!!!!!!

Faster 05-29-2008 09:39 PM

Bummer! Nothing gets my blood up like insurance companies trying to weasel out of claims after we paid good money for "coverage"...

This may seem a bit mercenary, but in the SE USA there must be plenty of leftover sailboat hardware in the hurricane belt, not so?

I've seen a similar failure before - a chain plate pulled out of a rotten bulkhead (after noticing the chainplate slowly pulling free we were lucky to be able to crash tack and saved the rig). There's something to be said for todays' practice of using tie rods and more visible attachments for these sorts of things.

DavyJ 05-30-2008 07:48 AM

I was also sailing on Monday in Tampa Bay and it was very gusty. I'm not sure if they will work or where they are located, but yachtsalvage.com has about 4-6 masts for sale.

duffer1960 05-30-2008 02:32 PM

Ok, I can't get the links to post properly, so here goes:

dwyermast.com, rigrite.com, or hallspars.com; just add www.

unclemole 05-30-2008 04:12 PM

Does anyone know who the OE mast supplier was?

maxmunger 05-31-2008 06:31 AM

Catalina extruded all of its own masts until the early 90's.
I know other owners who found a dyer mast to be similar.

djodenda 06-08-2008 06:18 PM

ere's a link to a person who is parting out a C30 in MD. Including the mast

Yahoo! Groups