SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 27

33K views 80 replies 38 participants last post by  norahs arc 
#1 ·
Why is there no forum for the C-27, the volume of these boats built should provide a lot of activity?

#6 ·
C-27 Forum

Ok, so how do we get one started? I am sure we have a range of skills and interests. Right now, I am trying to figure out my reefing system. I have not needed it even up to 18 K with tall rig. I just depower via traveler and the main sheet and furl the genoa. Seems like I am missing a forward block on a single line system. No info in the manual. Yes, new boat this year and I am still learning its quirks. Milwaukee based.

#10 ·
Would enjoy a C-27 discussion page

My Wife and I are fairly new to sailing and recently purchased the fourth from the last C27 ever built. I'd enjoy trading lessons learned from more seasoned C27 owners. She sails nicely and needs little in terms of updating but it would be great to hear from you and others about what you have done to keep your boat in tip top shape.

Regards,

Paul

#12 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm new to Sailnet as of TODAY. I have a 1973 Catalina 27 (hull # 863) "Orion" and absolutely love it. I'm homeported out of San Diego and have had her for 3 years. I have a 5 and 8 year old and it's all the boat we need for now. We do the Beercan's every summer and have been down to Mexico and out to Catalina Island several times. It's a GREAT little boat and it's good to find a C-27 community.

Brooks :)

#15 · (Edited)
VHF Coaxial Cable Suggestion

I would suggest Times Wire & Cable LMR-240 Ultra Flex.
Here is one source if you google LMR-240 you will find others

---http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable/3605.html]LMR240 Flex Coaxial Cable---
(remove the three hyphens at each end)

Relatively low loss, flexible, easy to pull

If we keep this up we may get our own forum under sailnet's new "what ever". I need to replace my antenna wire in the mast, any good recommendations on the type of cable? Also, what do you use for spinnaker sheets?

#16 ·
Hinged Mast

Here are three links that may help. Remove the three hyphens at each end

---http://www.ballengerspars.com/patslist2001-02.html---
---http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/images/mast-hinge3.jpg---
---http://www.blumhorst.com/catalina27/mast-step-install.htm---

Ran

#20 · (Edited)
A c 27 forum would be great. I have a 1972 #291. I'm adding a bimini this summer and would like to see a few pics of one before I do.
I mounted a bimini (73" I think from Overtons - can't remember for sure) on cars that I customized and ran along the track just forward of the winches. Works like a charm and you can move it forward and aft as needed. Had to cut the frame down a bit for boom clearance...but it's the bomb.

Here's where I got the idea.

(Scroll down a bit to see the bimini part)

#23 ·
I was surprised there's not a dedicated C27 subforum either. I've just joined sailnet (but no stranger to online forums). I hope SailNet will make us our own home :)

We've had our 1988 C27 for about 6 years now and this year have been doing some major work on it. We had the mast down for the first time to replace bulbs, sheaves, spreader boots, and wind transducer. We also replaced the two thru-hull transducers (new Raymarine ST40+ kit) before launching this year. The old sheaves were missing most of their edges.

A big project for us is finding a good way to repaint the nonskid parts of the deck. We're getting little holes in the bottom of the nonskid "pits" and we can see fiberglass strands. Not good.

Next up is clean and oil all the teak, and this year we're taking the teak trim off to rebed / re-silicone all the trim.

And while all that's happening I'm working on running the cables for our new instruments, and adding our Autohelm autopilot to our new Seatalk network. And a way to hook up our handheld GPS.

Happy sailing to everyone!

#24 ·
New C-27 owner

I just bought mine for a few hundred with all the parts EXCEPT the main sail. Does anyone have one in decent shape they could sell cheap? What size line recommended for jib sheets?

Why do I feel a trip to WM coming on?

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads? Is there such a thing as "rope conditioner"?

And Smack, yes, tis I of SVDS fame.

Thanks,

John

#25 ·
What size line recommended for jib sheets?
I think mine are 1/2". They're pretty thick and it makes them easier to handle, but it also makes it harder for the sails to fill in light winds. I have a 155% "drifter" and the sheets are much thinner, like 1/4".

Oh, and is there anything I can soak the halyards in to get rid of the green mold/mildew and not rot the threads?
I hear soap and water is surprisingly effective. One thing I've heard, but am yet to try, is to put your lines in a mesh bag and put them in the wash.

#28 ·
Gimmee a fightin' chance....

Smack --

Your bragging rights are safe for a few months. Keep your eyes peeled for a used main, please. If I can afford it, it's GOT to be pretty well used.

Also, I need the fore running lights, red and green; nothing but a hole on each side. Should I use this as an excuse to upgrade to LED? Best/cheapest sources?

After hours of cleaning, and then hours of sanding and fairing, and plenty of time in the toxic atmosphere that is spray painting, THEN I get to tackle the Atomic 4.

Man, I love sailboats!

Thanks,

John

#31 ·
line cleaning

I have run my c 27's lines (exept the wire to rope halyards) through the washing machine at home 4 times in the past ten years with no noticeable ill effects. I've never used a bag or special soap. I just heap them in, throw in some tide as usual and they come out looking spectastic, tangled but spectastic. I don't think i'd reccomend the dryer though.

#32 ·
Good ideas

Dro --

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll soak the rope halyards in soap with a touch of Lysol, agitate, rinse, and air dry. Truth be told, I should probably invest in an industrial barrel of Lysol to clean this girl up.

Still looking for a mainsail, (almost) any condition.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.