Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008

Diverboy is on a distinguished road
Catalina Capri 26

Hello there, I am a new Capri 26 Owner, just looking to exchange ideas with other Capri 26 owners out there. Look forward to hearing from anyone that currently or previously owned a Capri 26.

I have a 1992 Hull#246, Complete with Heated water system
Sailing on Lake Mead Nv, winds can go from 0kts to 30kts at any moment. The wind often swirls, and changes directions. Its a crazy lake to sail.

Ill be sailing this boat until I retire (11 more years?) then I plan on upgrading and moving away to a coastal paradise.

In the process of changing sails out, the boat still has the original 1992 main which is blown out pretty bad,. Changing to a loose foot, tri-radial design.

Also currently using the 135% genoa that came with the boat, but I am considering getting a 145%. Does any one think a 155% would be too much for this boat? Im getting mixed info from some folks....some think its too much sail for the boat, others think its ok. (i have a roller furler).

Anyone have any sailing tips for this very beamy boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2008

splets is on a distinguished road
Sails

The boat sails well with a 155%. I currently own my second Capri 26. The last one had a 155% Rf North headsail and was great but you have to reef earlier. My new boat has lots of hanked on sails, but if the wind is light I use the 155%, if it is windy, I use a 110.
Old 11-14-2008

Thanks very much for your input
Old 08-11-2009

jvpapas is on a distinguished road
Capri 26

A month ago I too acquired a 1992 C26 hull #206.
Very clean boat with 120 hours on the M12 diesel. I am very fussy, and all has to be perfect. I did a lot of research. I was suprised to see the boat being equiped with Patay cockpit pump. I got in touch with Patay in the UK and had them send me service kit for the pump.
I have been battling wiht a number of issues mainly water leaks.
The Beckson ports on the galley and head are problematic, they do not have the rain drain, thus water tends to accumulate in the spigot which eventually leaks in.
I have rebedded both and ordered new gaskets and screens.
Let's see whether they will stop leaking other wise I will repalce them with Bomar 2000 series ports.
I also rebedded the Bomar hatch, have to change the mushroom caps as well.
Also there has been water accumulation in the floor of the hanging closet. I think the issue there is that the exhaust fitting is lose and when the engine is running the is some water in take. I will wait till the boat comes out of the water and then I will address it.
I have had enough with the leaks, unforutnatly I have found an added leak, from the mast plate. Perhaps the electical connections are not caulked water was accumulating at the base of the mast post. I hope to address this as well.

I love the boat however a bit disappointed at the workmanship. I was not impressed to see the head being held with 2 inch screws. With the leaky ports in the head, the floor got soaked and the screws are no longer firm.
I had the head bolted to the floor with plates holding underneath.
I had to rebed the Bomar hatch as well.
The boat came with a CDI furling unit, I will see how it is and I might repalce it next year. i also need a bimini and a winter cover.

My previous boat I had a Jeanneau.

Best Jim
Old 01-11-2010

Capri 26 "rounding up in gusts" issue

I know this thread is old, but I was looking to find out more about the capri 26 round up problem, my boat will occasionally round up in gusts and i have heard that this has been an issue with all capri 26 boats. Does anyone have any info on this ( what causes it?) Other than my crappy sailing skills. I also heard that Catalina has issued and engineering release on this issue but I havent found it yet.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010

AugustaCapri26 is on a distinguished road
I've noted the same problem and have assumed it was natural weather-helm when she is overpowered.

Which brings me to an additional question (if I may be a usurper)-- can anyone comment on what is the best way to depower when racing on a windy day-- reef the main or partially roller-furl the headsail? Would your recommendations change if you were racing versus cruising?

Diverboy-- I'm new to Sailnet and would like to compare notes on the Capri 26 with you (I've just read your old posts.)
Old 01-14-2010

Hello there and thanks for the reply to my post about the capri 26 I would love to compare notes with you.

I have a ton of pics and a few videos as well, just you tube Catalina Capri 26 My boat should pop up.
You can reach my personal e-mail from there.

Its a great boat, but there is definatley an issue with the rounding up. I have not received a reply from catalina yet reference this I will probably just call them next week.

I have had a number of more skilled sailors than I take her out, and the issue is still there. I have discovered how to avoid it ( not pointing as high) and reefing much sooner than you would expect.

This seems to help considerably but, it definatley affects your sailing as you have to veer off the wind more than should be needed, as you know this creates more distance from point A to point B, making staying competitive in a race difficult.

Also the boat seems slow on the start but once i find that sweet spot she normally pulls ahead of other boats with similar PHRF ratings, ( mine is about 215-220) due to the inboard with Fixed prop.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Russ
Old 03-07-2010

cavelamb is on a distinguished road
If you have a Capri 26 and would like to discuss this boat,
please feel free to join us at

capri26@yahoogroups.com

Go to capri26 : Capri 26 National Association

All Capri 26 owners are invited to join up.
It's free, and the group is active and friendly!

See ya there!

Richard
Old 07-26-2010

CanJim is on a distinguished road
I've seen a Capri 26 for sale. Can anyone tell me the headroom, I'm 6' 2" and looking for a boat that I can fit inside and also clear the boom.

Thanks

Jim
Old 04-25-2011

cavelamb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanJim View Post
I've seen a Capri 26 for sale. Can anyone tell me the headroom, I'm 6' 2" and looking for a boat that I can fit inside and also clear the boom.

Thanks

Jim
Late reply...

I'm 6'1" and can stand upright only under the hatch (while closed). But the boat is quite comfortable...
Sitting headroom is fine, and stretch out room on the
bunks is ok.

Check my web page for more info...
Temptress Page

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.