Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009

cpsailing is on a distinguished road
C22 seriously looking - seeking feedback

I am considering the C22 as I want a trailorable comfortable fixed keel daysailer. I have only seen one but never sailed on one. Performance good? Anything I need to watch out for or be aware of? Any big reasons not to purchase one? Or do you just love yours (I'm hoping)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009
S/V Stardust

jlenox is on a distinguished road
We sailed our 1988 C22 from 2001 until 2004. She had a wing keel. We loved the boat and would spend 2 or 3 overnights a summer on her. Mostly we took 3-4 hour sails both during the day and past sunset into the night. She was very forgiving when the wind came up. in June of '02 we went out under reefed main and about partially furled genoa and had a great broad reech down Barnegat bay. The forcast was 16 knot winds. The wind was on our nose for the return trip up Bay with big rollers coming toward us. We furled the genoa because we were getting hammered, and soaked. We tacked from Forked River back to Toms River under reefed main and arrived safely, although wet ( the only truly we sail we ever had on her). When we got back to the dock and checked NOAA radio, the actual wind was reported as 25-30. Lesson learned, the boat (and the crew) could handle much more than I expected. The only reason we sold the boat was size. With 3 (now 4) growing children we needed more space. Picture puppies in a cardboard box with all 5 of us sleeping aboard......lol. Good luck in your search, I highly recommend the Catalina 22.
Old 03-19-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, I think a Catalina 22 is the perfect boat to learn on. The only issue I would warn you about would have been the swing keel version, and it's lifting mechanism. They do wear and need maintenance. But with a fixed keel, you are set. The drawback with a fixed keel will be the depth of the launch you will need to float her. Your major concerns on a older c22 will be the rigging, sails and the trailer. We used a 7.5 hp Merc. kinda small, but acceptable for lake sailing.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2009

Thanks for taking the time for the reply. This confirms what I hear and see so far.
Old 03-19-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
mine is a great little boat I truely love it. I have the swing keel and is very convenient for trailering and shallow coves. Very simple and sails good. It also has a nice little bit of room below. Would recomend to anyone looking.
Old 03-19-2009

Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2009

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
A couple of things:

There is good reason that over 15,000 Catalina 22s were sold. They sail well, have lots of room for their size, and are inexpensive. I had one for 2 years, and lived on it for 6 months.

There was a significant redesign of the boat in 1986 (Mark II) . The post-1986 boats have many improvements, including a vastly superior cabin, better traveler setup, dedicated fuel tank locker outside and more. Have a look at one of the newer ones before you buy.

Catalina Direct Catalina Direct: Welcome to Catalina Direct Online<br><br> has lots of equipment for the boat. They will sell you a catalog and pricelist that you can use to figure out what any repairs before you buy the boat.

Best wishes on your search!

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 03-20-2009

christsake is on a distinguished road
two cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsailing View Post
I am considering the C22 as I want a trailorable comfortable fixed keel daysailer. I have only seen one but never sailed on one. Performance good? Anything I need to watch out for or be aware of? Any big reasons not to purchase one? Or do you just love yours (I'm hoping)?
Edgewater Marina in Cleveland Oh is selling two of them April 4. They will most likely go for under $50. As in Fifty!!
Old 03-21-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
CPSailing,

Do you have a particular age/version of the C22 in mind? Obviously, newer boats will be more expensive than older ones. Those with hull numbers < 1000 will be much more lightly rigged than later boats, and will probably have been raced (they win in light air because they are so much lighter than newer boats), so they might be a bit more 'used' than later boats.

My C22 is hull #11735, from 1983. It has a pop-top (early models did not) and this makes it nice when you are anchored. The rig is pretty stout, and the boat is more heavily built than early models. Granted, it's not for offshore use , but I've never felt in danger with winds over 25mph and gusts over 35. However, in those conditions, the sailing wasn't exactly fun.

The wing keel version is not as weatherly as the swing keel, but I don't know if its motion more or less comfortable. Mine is a swing keel, and it serves me well. It was in good condition when I bought the boat in 1998, and its in better condition now since I have replaced the keel cable, pivot pin, etc. (incidently, these are not hard to do.)

Anyway, the C22 is a great boat to start out on. Responsive, but forgiving so you can generally learn the right and wrong way to sail it, get immediately feedback from the helm, and not end up in too much trouble when you make a mistake.

Fair winds,

Pat

C22 - Stargazer
Old 04-21-2009
Banned

Anaxagoras1986 is on a distinguished road
I love mine although mine is a swing keel and the maintenance is much higher on those.