Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009

MurphyGirl is on a distinguished road
Considering C-270...help!

O.K., guys, I'm new here and seriously considering upgrading from a C-25 to a C-270 (my dream boat). She's a '94, wing keel, LE model that's only had one owner and has been neglected a bit. The boat is 6 hours away from me, so I can only go by what the broker tells me and what I see in pics. The broker categorized the boat as being in 'good' condition. The engine has 109 hours on it. "Original sails with very low use". Bimini, portable A/C, cushions, etc are all included. It doesn't have a trailer, but I think I've found one that will do the trick. Any red flags going up so far? I presume I should get a survey of the boat but how do I go about arranging that? How much will it cost and do I make an offer contingent upon the results of the survey or what wording should I use? Your help and suggestions are most appreciated.

Lori
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-29-2009

Mark1948 is on a distinguished road
Lots of info on this site regarding buying a boat. A little mining will help. As to surveyor, check for one in the area the boat is located and plan to be there when the survey is conducted. Survey once you make your offer. Make the offer contingent upon a satisfactory survey that the boat is in good condition. Lots of unknowns like sails, rigging, motor, Satisfactory sea trial. Before you make an offer, go visit the boat, spend time crawling into every nook and cranny and make your own list of concerns first. Read Don Casey's book on evaluating boats. Don't be afraid of a low ball. You still have a trailer issue and a towing vehicle, you will need a larger pick-up in order to make the pull. A full size vehicle won't cut it. Hope this helps. At least it will likely draw more comments.
Old 07-30-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Is this a boat you are planning on using as a trailer sailor? If so I would strongly suggest staying with the 25. The 270 will be such a hassle to trailer sail, that I think it will end up sitting on the hard.

The standard deal in an offer is to make it contingent upon a sea-trial and survey. If either is a problem, you can back out.

"Neglected a bit" could mean a lot of things. If there are any major issues, your surveyor should be able to flag them. Since a survey is expensive, go see the boat first. Look for any signs of water damage. Poke any wood you see to make sure there is no dry-rot. This is especially true in the cabin below where the shrouds attach to the deck (the chain plates).

By far the most important thing to remember is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyGirl View Post
considering upgrading from a C-25 to a C-270 (my dream boat)
How often do you get this chance at your dream boatg 6 hours from your house? Be cautious, but go for it!
Old 10-17-2009

Scubadog54 is on a distinguished road
MurphyGirl,I dont know if this reply is to late but here goes.I own a c270 that I have had for 5 years ,and I have to strongly agree with rain dog about trailering.the c270 is a big and heavy boat,and the rigging and mast woulld be a real pain to put up and down for a few days sailing.
Scubadog54