SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Catalina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/)
-   -   Kudos to Catalina (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/catalina/69194-kudos-catalina.html)

JimMcGee 10-19-2010 09:27 AM

Kudos to Catalina
 
We have a 1995 Catalina 30 MKIII and we're gradually re-doing/modernizing the whole boat. One of the things that drove me crazy was that the previous owner had cracked the lid to the fridge and his attempt at a repair meant the lid didn't quite seal, so the freezer unit was always icing up. Complicating any fix is that Catalina molds their countertops out of a fiberglass mixture that looks a bit like Corian. So any attempt to remedy the lid would stand out like a sore thumb.

This is my second Catalina so Im familiar with their customer service. I called the Florida plant and asked if they could make a new top color matched to our counter. They could.

I shipped the old lid to Florida. The job was done as fill-in work between other projects in their fiberglass shop, so I made a temporary lid to use while we waited. When we finally got the new lid back it was a perfect match. They recommended fine tuning the fit with a sander (which I just finished) and then sending the lid back if it needed any color touchup. Not sure if Ill bother as the spot I sanded is to the back and out of sight.

Were the third owners of a 15 year old boat, and they charged us less than $100 because their shop got backlogged and took longer than expected. How many other companies would make custom parts for a 15 year old boat?

This is our second Catalina and they continue to impress me with their customer service.

Jim

T37Chef 10-19-2010 09:56 AM

Nice to hear, one of the major reasons I would buy a Catalina...not to mention I really liked that C42 at the boat show :)

Cruisingdad 10-19-2010 10:49 AM

Right on! Plus, their Tech editor for the 400's is one seriously good looking and smart sailor (my hero).

Now back to that conversation about them being nearly as good as a Sabre...

HEHE!

Brian

PS T37Chef - Please do not buy a Catalina. The massive speed of such a luxurious yacht might kill you. Stick to Tartan, where you can keep your grill lit on all points of sail.

djodenda 10-19-2010 11:56 AM

There are some things that I miss about my Catalina 30, and some things that I don't, but I sure do miss the factory and other support that is available...

christyleigh 10-19-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djodenda (Post 656244)
There are some things that I miss about my Catalina 30, and some things that I don't, but I sure do miss the factory and other support that is available...

Ditto with my C320 :)

Jeff_H 10-19-2010 01:23 PM

I know that I have sometimes been pretty harsh on Catalinas, but it sounds like they have their act together when it comes to supporting their older models.

I have also been pretty hard on how outdated many of their designs have been, but at this years Annapolis Boat show, I was very impressed with the design direction many of their newer models. They have finally begun to produce boats with updated hull forms and fractional rigs. (Now if they could only get away from in-mast furling, and mid-boom sheeting as their only option and add a backstay adjuster option they might finally have gotten the rig right....I know "picky, picky,picky")

Jeff

JimMcGee 10-20-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 656189)
Right on! Plus, their Tech editor for the 400's is one seriously good looking and smart sailor (my hero).

I don't know. I always thought that pretty boy C40 tech editor looked like he should be on one of them funny looking French boats :D

Jim

JimMcGee 10-20-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 656286)
I know that I have sometimes been pretty harsh on Catalinas, but it sounds like they have their act together when it comes to supporting their older models.

I have also been pretty hard on how outdated many of their designs have been, but at this years Annapolis Boat show, I was very impressed with the design direction many of their newer models. They have finally begun to produce boats with updated hull forms and fractional rigs. (Now if they could only get away from in-mast furling, and mid-boom sheeting as their only option and add a backstay adjuster option they might finally have gotten the rig right....I know "picky, picky,picky")

Jeff

Jeff,
Being laid back cruisers the Catalina 30 has been a great boat for us so far and they've been a great company to deal with.

I think they do a pretty good job of listening to what their customers want. After all no boat is right for everybody. Heck the way the stern seats are laid out on ours really makes it tough to mount a BBQ :p

Jim

Cruisingdad 10-20-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 656626)
I don't know. I always thought that pretty boy C40 tech editor looked like he should be on one of them funny looking French boats :D

Jim

I refuse to pull my socks up to my knees, wear a speedo in public, or get a twirly mustache. Nope. It's Catalina for me. Because on a Catalina, you just grow your beard out, wear flip flops instead of boat shoes, and go naked. Not to mention, we get the anchorages to ourselves. Not sure why, really.

Brian

PCP 10-20-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimMcGee (Post 656143)
[COLOR=black]
Were the third owners of a 15 year old boat, and they charged us less than $100 because their shop got backlogged and took longer than expected. How many other companies would make custom parts for a 15 year old boat?

This is our second Catalina and they continue to impress me with their customer service.

Jim

That is really impressive. It would be normal on a small company, but on a medium dimension company it is outstanding.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012