Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Kudos to Catalina

We have a 1995 Catalina 30 MKIII and we're gradually re-doing/modernizing the whole boat. One of the things that drove me crazy was that the previous owner had cracked the lid to the fridge and his attempt at a repair meant the lid didn't quite seal, so the freezer unit was always icing up. Complicating any fix is that Catalina molds their countertops out of a fiberglass mixture that looks a bit like Corian. So any attempt to remedy the lid would stand out like a sore thumb.

This is my second Catalina so I’m familiar with their customer service. I called the Florida plant and asked if they could make a new top color matched to our counter. They could.

I shipped the old lid to Florida. The job was done as “fill-in” work between other projects in their fiberglass shop, so I made a temporary lid to use while we waited. When we finally got the new lid back it was a perfect match. They recommended fine tuning the fit with a sander (which I just finished) and then sending the lid back if it needed any color touchup. Not sure if I’ll bother as the spot I sanded is to the back and out of sight.

We’re the third owners of a 15 year old boat, and they charged us less than $100 because their shop got backlogged and took longer than expected. How many other companies would make custom parts for a 15 year old boat?

This is our second Catalina and they continue to impress me with their customer service.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Nice to hear, one of the major reasons I would buy a Catalina...not to mention I really liked that C42 at the boat show
Old 10-19-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Right on! Plus, their Tech editor for the 400's is one seriously good looking and smart sailor (my hero).

Now back to that conversation about them being nearly as good as a Sabre...

HEHE!

Brian

PS T37Chef - Please do not buy a Catalina. The massive speed of such a luxurious yacht might kill you. Stick to Tartan, where you can keep your grill lit on all points of sail.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-19-2010

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
There are some things that I miss about my Catalina 30, and some things that I don't, but I sure do miss the factory and other support that is available...

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 10-19-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
There are some things that I miss about my Catalina 30, and some things that I don't, but I sure do miss the factory and other support that is available...
Ditto with my C320
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-19-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I know that I have sometimes been pretty harsh on Catalinas, but it sounds like they have their act together when it comes to supporting their older models.

I have also been pretty hard on how outdated many of their designs have been, but at this years Annapolis Boat show, I was very impressed with the design direction many of their newer models. They have finally begun to produce boats with updated hull forms and fractional rigs. (Now if they could only get away from in-mast furling, and mid-boom sheeting as their only option and add a backstay adjuster option they might finally have gotten the rig right....I know "picky, picky,picky")

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Right on! Plus, their Tech editor for the 400's is one seriously good looking and smart sailor (my hero).
I don't know. I always thought that pretty boy C40 tech editor looked like he should be on one of them funny looking French boats

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I know that I have sometimes been pretty harsh on Catalinas, but it sounds like they have their act together when it comes to supporting their older models.

I have also been pretty hard on how outdated many of their designs have been, but at this years Annapolis Boat show, I was very impressed with the design direction many of their newer models. They have finally begun to produce boats with updated hull forms and fractional rigs. (Now if they could only get away from in-mast furling, and mid-boom sheeting as their only option and add a backstay adjuster option they might finally have gotten the rig right....I know "picky, picky,picky")

Jeff
Jeff,
Being laid back cruisers the Catalina 30 has been a great boat for us so far and they've been a great company to deal with.

I think they do a pretty good job of listening to what their customers want. After all no boat is right for everybody. Heck the way the stern seats are laid out on ours really makes it tough to mount a BBQ

Jim

Last edited by JimMcGee; 10-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I don't know. I always thought that pretty boy C40 tech editor looked like he should be on one of them funny looking French boats

Jim
I refuse to pull my socks up to my knees, wear a speedo in public, or get a twirly mustache. Nope. It's Catalina for me. Because on a Catalina, you just grow your beard out, wear flip flops instead of boat shoes, and go naked. Not to mention, we get the anchorages to ourselves. Not sure why, really.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-20-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
[COLOR=black]
We’re the third owners of a 15 year old boat, and they charged us less than $100 because their shop got backlogged and took longer than expected. How many other companies would make custom parts for a 15 year old boat?

This is our second Catalina and they continue to impress me with their customer service.

Jim
That is really impressive. It would be normal on a small company, but on a medium dimension company it is outstanding.