Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011

fiatracer163 is on a distinguished road
Could the catalina 27 be the one?

I am looking at a Catalina 27 (1985) that has been stored inside for 4 years. It is missing a roller furling unit, head sail and some cushions for the cabin. It has a diesel with ~400hrs on it and wheel steer. Other than the missing parts, the boat is clean! I was wondering how others felt about this boat? Is it a good solid boat? I will be sailing it in Lake Michigan, so not real blue water.

Any feedback is welcome!
And what should I offer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Catalina 27 is a good starter boat, fairly roomy for its size and sails well enough. Wheel steering would be unusual and likely not factory, so look at that installation carefully.

Furlers can be bought from a variety of vendors, probably run you around $1500-2000 installed at a minimum. Do a search on something like Yachtworld to get an idea of asking prices, remembering that most deals nowadays close somewhat lower. Locally here an average C27 might command between $5 - 10K depending on condition and equipment, with most selling quickly at the lower range.

The low-hours engine is a plus, the indoor storage is another. Cushions are no big deal but will cost some and so any offer should take the 'missing' bits into consideration. For peace of mind and insurance reasons a survey should be done prior to finalizing any deal, as usual.

Sometimes called 'the Chevy Malibu of the sea; I reckon this boat has been the introduction to sailing and boat ownership for thousands.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-29-2011

captain conrad is on a distinguished road
My first boat was a Catalina 27 gas engine and tiller in Chicago in 1988 the boat taught me how to sail.There good boats although I wished it was a 30 lots more room!
I crossed the lake manny times and always felt safe.