Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Catalina
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

follysurf is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 Motor Mount

My C27 has the outboard motor cut out in the transom and I have a very reliable Honda 4 stroke engine. The only problem is that it can not be tilted up to the point that the prop is out of the water. This results in heavy growth during the warmer weather. I believe that if I could find a fixed bracket that extended several inches, I would be able to tilt the engine far enough to get it completely out the water. I have seen the Garelick model 71074 which would do the trick but it is not rated for the thrust of a four stroke engine.

I know this is a fairly common issue and there have been some creative solutions.

What is on your boat? Any help is greatly appreciated and I would love to see some pictures of solutions.

A side note: this particular engine is not compatable with remote throttle controls so I need to be able to reach the gear shifter and throttle. Therefor I think the lifting stye mount may put the engine to far out when being used.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 27 Motor Mount

I can't answer your question directly, but I've been searching around for a similar answer. I have the transom cutout and a Honda 4 stroke 15 HP that I would like to install. I'm currently using a Johnson 9.9 2 stroke that is a tight fit.

Searching here is hit and miss but if you search using Bing or Google you may have better luck. I plan to do more ocean sailing in my 27 and would like to have the 15 HP but I'm considering a small motor just so it's easy to fit the hole and operate. I'd rather have it easy to use than have more horeses and difficult to use.

Good luck.
MikeB
Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Old 03-09-2013

ScottGrosenick is on a distinguished road

Hey FollySurf - what did you end up doing here? I just came across the post and am on the verge of repowering my C27 with all the same concerns.

Thanks!
-S
Old 03-09-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dawg View Post
Our similar problem was with a Catalina 27. Here's the previous weak bracket which also didn't let the larger 4 cycle swing clear of the motor well or out of the water...good luck as I can relate to your difficulties.

Here's a cardboard mockup of transom in the garage...

Here's what I custom made to extend and angle properly...

Here's a home made davit to avoid dropping a $1400 motor....

Here's the finished product...
Good luck with your quest.
skygazer likes this.
Old 03-12-2013

ScottGrosenick is on a distinguished road

Wow! That's pretty impressive. Why did you opt for a fixed bracket over one of the spring loaded ones?

Also, did you go with remote controls? It seems like it would be hard to reach back and adjust the throttle when maneuvering in tight quarters.
Old 03-12-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGrosenick View Post
Wow! That's pretty impressive. Why did you opt for a fixed bracket over one of the spring loaded ones?

Also, did you go with remote controls? It seems like it would be hard to reach back and adjust the throttle when maneuvering in tight quarters.
Fixed or not, yes remote will be the next upgrade. The moveable mounts are mostly unreliable or right expensive with a 90 lb 4 cycle. I chose to custom fabricate it because even selecting one you are willing to pay higher prices doesn't mean it will tilt and lift to all your specifications. I felt I could guarantee it will be down in the down position and up (clear of the water) in the up position better than one I found in the catalog. For now the throttle is with a PVC extension. The gear shift is a limiting factor and we're looking at remote controls for that reason. I do feel your pain!
Old 05-02-2013

Scott: I am finally tackling the motor mount issue, after completing the bottom painting, and here is what I have come up with. I found a spring mount on craigs list for a reasonable price that is more mount that I need for my 9 hp four stroke. Primarily using starboard, I made the motor mount hole about 4 inches smaller on the bottom (filled in with starboard) and reinforced the inside and outside of the transom with larger pieces of starboard. I then mounted the spring mount accordingly. I will take some pictures to show the final outcome. I am pretty confident it will work well since I hung off it with no problem.
My motor does not have the ability to connect remote controls so I also will be using a PVC extension to work the throttle and change gears. I plan on splashing the boat in a couple weeks and will let you know how it all works out!
Old 06-18-2014

brycelee is on a distinguished road

Hi SeaDawg

I am dealing with the exact same issue: Catalina 27, 9.9 Tohatsu. I need to solve this fast. Do you have the measurements of your fix? How far of an extension aft, specifically. Do you think it could have been any less and still have worked?
Old 08-23-2014

tastywaves is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by follysurf View Post
Scott: I am finally tackling the motor mount issue, after completing the bottom painting, and here is what I have come up with. I found a spring mount on craigs list for a reasonable price that is more mount that I need for my 9 hp four stroke. Primarily using starboard, I made the motor mount hole about 4 inches smaller on the bottom (filled in with starboard) and reinforced the inside and outside of the transom with larger pieces of starboard. I then mounted the spring mount accordingly. I will take some pictures to show the final outcome. I am pretty confident it will work well since I hung off it with no problem.
My motor does not have the ability to connect remote controls so I also will be using a PVC extension to work the throttle and change gears. I plan on splashing the boat in a couple weeks and will let you know how it all works out!
Hi follysurf - Do you have a picture of your filled in transom hole and outboard mount? Is it holding up okay and does it allow your outboard to be completely out of the water? I am thinking of replacing my 6hp merc with a 15hp merc (I know its a lot of power but I already own it and it has a remote). Thought about mounting off to the side but worried about lopsided weight. It can sit in the transom hole but wont tilt.
Old 10-06-2014

Here is a picture of the reinforced transom to allow for a spring arm bracket. The motor is fully out of the water when the bracket is in next to highest position and the motor is tilted. This system works well in forward but seems to lose some steerage in reverse with the motor so far from the rudder. I was only able to attac one picture so will attempt to reply again with another picture
Attached Thumbnails
Catalina 27 Motor Mount-image_1412613011449.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.