SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina 27 phrf-nw rating

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dog Ship 
#1 ·
Is there anyone racing an older Catalina 27 with flying sails, and if so what's your rating.
No need to write a novel, a simple number will do.

Thanks,
Peter

#2 ·
Vancouver area, sail codes 4/5/6 w/outboard rating 215 (base rating 218) From PHRF-BC

#3 ·
Thanks Faster,

I belong to a group of boat owners that have gotten together for the past 40 years to race their boats in a informal manner. We are focused on having fun more than competing.
Having said that we are still out there racing and making the club what it is.
Even though the main goal is to have fun, we all expect competitive fairness.
We had a Regatta this weekend and a fellow saw our advertisments up around town. He came down to our skippers meeting and registered his Catalina 27 with a spinnaker and an o/b, and raced his boat.
He claimed a 225 rating.
This rating put him in Div. II with boats rated from 175-250 and with us a C&C 32 with a 195 rating.
This Catalina left Division II in the dust. His corrected time place him 3rd and 4th in Division I. Thats up with the Tartan 4000's, C&C 35's and Flying Tiger's. wtf
I have emailed our R/C, no reply yet.

Peter

#5 ·
He came down to our skippers meeting and registered his Catalina 27 with a spinnaker and an o/b, and raced his boat.
He claimed a 225 rating.
This rating put him in Div. II with boats rated from 175-250 and with us a C&C 32 with a 195 rating.
This Catalina left Division II in the dust. His corrected time place him 3rd and 4th in Division I. Thats up with the Tartan 4000's, C&C 35's and Flying Tiger's.
What's his secret? :)

#4 ·
The C 27 listed here has a modified rudder, probably why she's 3 sec off the 'base' rating with the 4/5/6 sail codes which ought to be a wash.

Sounds like that Catalina was well sailed.. the 6/7 sec/mile 'advantage' would be unlikely to have made that big a difference in the results on its own. If she indeed 'left you in the dust' boat for boat it was probably as much tactics as boatspeed - in your area current can be king, no?

I'd have guessed around 225 for a run-of-the-mill C27, so the local 218 makes sense.

#6 ·
Keep in mind that just like the Catalina 30 the C 27 was made in a few different flavors. There is the std. model, shoal draft model and tall rig model. There will be some variation of PHRF ratings among these differences with the tall rig model sporting the most sail area and the lowest (fastest) PHRF rating.
End of novel.

#7 ·
It was sailed well, I will give him that, and the currents in Sidney Basin will win or lose a race for you, period. But when your going down wind side by side and he just takes off it really makes one wonder.
Check out the finish times for Temenos yourself at Canoe Bay Sailing Club's website. Pay particular attention to his elapsed times. He is in the hunt with the Div. I boats.
What's his secret, other than he weighs about 1/2 to 2/3's of what my boat weighs, I have no idea.
Maybe it's an empty shell down below with canvas bunks and a head in the middle of the salon. The BBQ out back is there just to throw you off.:laugher

#8 ·
I've been looking into it and the base rating for a Catalina 27 with a 110% and no flying sails is 210-218, depending on the boats configuration. ie; centreboard or keel, standard or tall rig, etc.
Apparently it can take years to gather enough racing statistics to have PHRF-NW change this rating.
In my search I also found other people who are complaining about these boats and there ratings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.