SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Central America (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/central-america/)
-   -   Sea of Cortez (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/central-america/69008-sea-cortez.html)

lukinc 10-12-2010 11:39 AM

Sea of Cortez

Can anyone share their knowledge of drinking water in the Sea of Cortez?

We're planning an extended cruise to Mexico, wintering in the Sea of Cortez. We have a limited cruising budget and are weighing the pros and cons of installing a costly reverse osmosis water maker.

Our 37-Pacific Seacraft has limited space. We have about 90 gals of fresh water tankage but no water maker.

Can we find good supplies of drinking water in ports around the Sea of Cortez?

Is a 12-volt water maker really necessary?

Appreciate your feedback.

Craig (newbie)

Faster 10-12-2010 12:42 PM

We have friends that are cruising Mexican waters each winter on their Passport 40, and they say the watermaker is the best thing they put on board.

Other friends in the same situation are getting by without one, so the water is available but I'm not sure about the cost or across-the-board availability.

SalishCraig 07-26-2011 12:14 PM

Water make

After an extensive re-fit that exceeded our budget by 50%, the water maker and wind vane were taken off our list of gear to buy.

We'll see how we do with 100 gals of water tankage and maybe 20 gals of reserve in jerry cans.

SalishCraig 07-26-2011 12:16 PM

Weather reports for the Sea of Cortez

I was wondering what other folks use to get weather reports in the Sea of Cortez?

We'll be equiped with VHF, Ham Radio (receiver), and Garmin Weather Satellite (GX50).

Will we be able to get reliable weather reports from these devices?

aeventyr60 07-27-2011 08:57 PM

There are a few SSB nets in the morning. I think one is the "AMIGO NET". 4.417.0 USB.

Also the weather in Mexico is fairly benign. The big joke down there was the WX will be more like it was yesterday then today.

When we left Seattle in 99 it had rained 89 days in a row....In Mexico no
rain for 18 months...ENJOY!

aeventyr60 07-27-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukinc (Post 653566)
Can anyone share their knowledge of drinking water in the Sea of Cortez?

We're planning an extended cruise to Mexico, wintering in the Sea of Cortez. We have a limited cruising budget and are weighing the pros and cons of installing a costly reverse osmosis water maker.

Our 37-Pacific Seacraft has limited space. We have about 90 gals of fresh water tankage but no water maker.

Can we find good supplies of drinking water in ports around the Sea of Cortez?

Is a 12-volt water maker really necessary?

Appreciate your feedback.

Craig (newbie)

Ahoy Craig,

we cruised mexico for 18 months on our tayana 37 back in 99-01. We have a 100 gallon tank also. We did not have a watermaker then and still don't 12 years later. You will be fine. Just learn to conserve. More places now to get water then back then. Also saw many boats whose watermakers crapped out and they could not "possibly" continue to cruise without them, what a bunch of weak sisters....You've got agreat cruising boat and the right ideas. Good luck!

sailnova 10-05-2011 04:49 PM

Can anyone comment on the weather during the winter...say january. Thanks

donradclife 10-06-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailnova (Post 783047)
Can anyone comment on the weather during the winter...say january. Thanks

Cold enough to require jackets, with frequent "Northers" which will keep you in protected anchorages. Weather is much warmer on the mainland side below Mazatlan.

whosedream 12-08-2011 09:37 AM

Sea of Cortez

Hola CoolBreezin,

I hope to run into you this winter. I was on haha with you.
Ill be commuter cruising and currently in Cabo San Jose marina. Hope to move up to La Paz ( Frailes, Muertos,bonanza) after the holidays.

Like you, no water maker and I carry 90 gal on my PSC 37. Mariana/ fuel dock weather is genereally potable on baja. Ask cruisers, bleachin and filter out of faucet if really nervous is how I'm gonna do it.

Let's keep in touch when you have wifi/ Internet.
Jimmy
Sv/Island Time
Jimmyp@ gmail.com

Controlled Jibe 01-07-2012 08:00 PM

We were sailing around Puerto Escondido for a few weeks in November, and we found good water in Agua Verde, a tiny fishing village that everyone said wouldn't have water. Not that all coastal villages will be the same, but it's one example at least, for what it's worth. You have to ask around and find the right people, but everyone's got to drink fresh water from somewhere, right?