SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Central America (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/central-america/)
-   -   Hurricane season options? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/central-america/69025-hurricane-season-options.html)

SanDiegoChip 10-12-2010 04:26 PM

Hurricane season options?

This is a bit of a luxury item I know but for some like me it is more of an essential item.
We will be cursing the Sea Of Cortez and Southern Mexico.
During hurricane season we will most probably be in the upper Sea of Cortez to escape danger or tie up at a Marine in say Mazatlan.

My wife and I have a 36’ sail boat and plan on living on it and staying in Mexico a couple years or more then go south or just stay around in Mexico.

For comfort I would like AC. I have read stories where people have run AC off the Honda generator to keep cool at night for sleeping. It seemed a must have in the upper Sea of Cortez when it is hot. This person had kids.

My dilemma is the two different situations.

For instance we can get a 16,000 btu AC for the boat but it needs shore power.

Could get a 4000 btu AC for the state room that runs of the batteries and would work all knight.

But not both, it is too much $$ and not enough space I would think for both.
I want my wife to stay with the boat and enjoy our time, me too. I think the option of having AC is worth the price.

I have a friend who tied his boat up and came back to San Diego for the hot months, that is not really an option for us. We will need to stay.

I know we could do without but if the going gets too tough and it is like camping in the desert in the summer we or she will revolt. We, I think need to ease into the adjustment of the climate change a bit easier.
Heat AC is on our phase two part of our out fitting which is what we are on now. I have done some good research but so far I think do not have enough information about what really happens in Mexico..

Staying at a marina may be an option for one season but not for every hurricane season for us.
  • I guess my question is what do other people do for hurricane season?
  • Do they tie up at a dock in the upper Sea of Cortez, anchor, or both or do most stay in Southern Mexico at a marina?
  • Are the rates in the upper Sea of Cortez less than in South Mexico for instance for a slip or dock side electricity?
  • Would there be a cursing guide that would explain this?
Thanks

remetau 10-12-2010 04:46 PM

We recently got an Air Marine 16k and will also be getting a 3k for our berth that can run off the inverter. We got a Smart Start that will allow us to run the 16k from our 2k Honda. The 3k would only be used when running the engine such as when coming into port.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about Mexico, but you may be able to run your 16k AC from a Honda 2k gen.

SanDiegoChip 10-12-2010 05:01 PM

Battery AC

That is a good point. We have a Honda 2000 generator. Could use the Smart Start with it.
Gusee I gotta wonder if the Honda 2000 or we can take it (the noise) for the months needed each and every night.

That is one reson we were looking at the battery AC.
There is one here.

12 VOLT BOAT MARINE AIR CONDITIONER

remetau 10-12-2010 05:03 PM

For months would be a lot of gas. I would think that if you ran the 12v enough to give you comfort, you would be running the Honda about as much just to keep your batteries charged.

SanDiegoChip 10-13-2010 01:34 PM

The 12v would use some amps but not all that much. Plus the solar panels would replenish the batteries. We have on 135 watt SP so far and plan on adding two more 135 amp and a smaller one and a wind generator this year or beginning of next.
The Honda would run full blast all knight to support a 16,000 btu A/C.
Our problem is the cash it takes to get both or the space required for both a 12v and a 110 16,000 btu a/c. One is not a problem so it would be the 16,000 btu as it would work dock side. A hatch one would work with the Honda but then again it is the cash and storage space issue.
It could be a 12,000 btu would run off the Honda a lot better and not max it out all the time.
Just need more info. DO not want to sit and sweat at the dock with too small a A/C unite.
Darn compromises.

Controlled Jibe 01-07-2012 08:07 PM

Can't speak to the AC part of the question, but I can add a few good links to hurricane accounts for the Sea of Cortez.

http://theboatgalley.com/wp-content/...-at-Anchor.pdf

Historical Look at Hurricanes in Baja

The Two Captains - Reference Shelf

We're considering the Sea of Cortez for the summer (and beyond) as well, and are asking some of the same questions. Good Luck, and let me know what you decide.

Controlled Jibe 01-07-2012 08:09 PM

Just noticed the date after I replied. Did you survive the summer? Did your wife handle the heat? If you're still out there let me know how it went for you.

zeehag 06-08-2012 05:40 PM

Re: Hurricane season options?

last year i stayed on my boat in mazatlan's marina mazatlan. this year i am summering in la cruz de huanacaxtle---so far, so good-bud was nipped in the bud, as it were and we watch for summer....
in my formosa i use a 5000 btu a/c window unit--with a fan to circulate cool air to my master berth. works perfectly well, and i only use it on 1/3 low setting.