Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Central America
 Not a Member? 

Central America Primarily West Coast, Including Mexico

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012

Controlled Jibe is on a distinguished road
Coffee in the Sea of Cortez

Katie, my fiance, has a serious addiction, and i'm getting worried that if we don't find coffee in the Sea of Cortez as we cruise, that I might bear the hurricane force brunt of her crankiness if we don't come across some coffee. I'm sure we'll be able to find Nescafe, but does anyone know if there is any real coffee to be had in any of the ports, particularly on the Baja side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cruising until the money runs out or the golden retriever mutinies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
You can get great coffee in La Paz, Loreto, Santa Rosalia and BLA. Got fantasic beans just in the grocery stores -- you can grind them there or take them back to the boat and grind them yourself.

It's really funny, because for the last month my husband and I having been looking for any coffee near us (now central Illinois) that's anywhere near as good.

I can't remember the name, but it's just everywhere in grocery stores there -- in plastic bags of beans. Mexican brand. No fancy coffee shops or anything (we liked it a lot better than what was in the specialty coffee shops in La Paz).

Bottom line: don't worry!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...i'm getting worried that if we don't find coffee in the Sea of Cortez...
Actually in the Sea of Cortez (or, El Golfo de California, as the locals prefer) the baristas are few and far between (the beans are too hard to keep dry anyway). But, in Baja California and B.C. Sur it's not too much of a problem. All the cities and most of the larger towns have coffeehouses that cater to gringos turista. Just keep an eye out for large herds of overweight, melanin-deficient, middle-age folks (often with the mating pairs wearing matching outfits) who can't understand why their high school spanish is incomprehensible.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 01-08-2012

Good points all, Slow But Steady. However, come to think of it I have seen quite a bit of coffee in the Sea of Cortez, but most of it's been floating away away on the surface at about 9:00 am after we emptied the grounds from the coffee sock (and I was the Barista!).

Old 01-08-2012

Thanks Carolyn, we'll keep our eyes peeled for the plastic bags.

Old 01-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Baristas?
Ba-feakin'-RISTAS?!!?

Barista is an Esperanto word, which, roughly translated, means "multiply pierced liberal arts grad too proud to say 'would-you-like-fries-with-that?', with pretentions of artsiness that preclude employment outside of the service industry." see also "Apple Disciple."

Dude, any country that could introduce Kahlua to the world can likely rustle up a bearable cup of coffee.

One thing I have learned, travelling all over this world, is that coffee is everywhere, and usually better than what you can get at Fivebucks, if you can get past requiring your coffee to be whipped, foamed, and adulterated with dairy products and flavours so that it more closely resembles a milkshake than a cup of joe.

And some people wonder how I became a curmudgeon.

Next thing you know somebody will ask whether Bacardi White is available in the Caribbean because, like, that is the world's best rum. Beside Malibu.

Hey, is that some damn kids on my lawn?
NTD likes this.

Old 01-08-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
My partner and I lived on the beach in Thailand for 3 months a year. Although we can sometimes get ko pi (good) and always nescafe (bad) we packed in our own beans, ground and sealed ,from Canada with a French press. Gotta plan these things. Oops, gotta go, Hear the hammock calling my name.
Old 01-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Beans best.. grind them and they just give a much nicer flavor. I have a inverter but I've not found a 12volt grinder yet. not that I'm really searching for one.

my current "project"!
Old 01-08-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
denise:
Fluck a whole buncha 12 volt. this is whatcha need.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003S824UK

or a barista named Dylan...but spelled DyLlain, cus it looks more celtic that way.

Old 01-09-2012

BlJones, It didn't seem that your post had anything to do with the original question or other ideas thus far discussed in this thread; nobody asked about Starbucks, or foam, or baristas, but rather: "can you find good coffee in Baja". And I would also disagree that you can find good coffee anywhere in the world, I've been to numerous places in Latin America where all you can get is Nescafe. Hence my original question. Try to stay on topic if you can.