Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Central America
 Not a Member? 

Central America Primarily West Coast, Including Mexico

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012

cassandra1 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I need a boat in costa rica pacific

Me, my husband, and another couple are planning a trip to Costa Rica early next year. Our plan originally was to sail out of San Diego hitting a few key ports in Mexico then Costa Rica, panama and finally meeting up with friends in Columbia. We have a 40' on the east coast in New York and our friends have a 45' on in San Diego.
Time constraints have limited our travel time and now sailing either boat into the region would no longer be practical. We are open to many options. I am struggling to find many charter companies on the pacific coast.

We are open to purchasing a boat if it priced right or if anyone is planning to sell they could easily make a lions share of their sale price just renting it to us for 1-2 months. Whether charter, sale, or rental, the boat needs to be suitable for live aboard sailing for two couples. Tight quarters are fine. Suitable navigation and safety equipment a must. We are flexible on the type of boat. These requirements apply primarily to the purchase or rental options of course.

If anyone has contact info in Costa Rica for anyone looking to sell or make a killing renting, please reply or PM.

Contact info for any charter companies on the west coast would also be greatly appreciated.

If someone has a boat that fits the bill in neighboring countries, we could pay for delivery and pick up personal, travel, expenses.

If no other options exist.... does anybody want to take the sail of a lifetime delivering our boat from NY to Costa Rica?

The trip will take place throughout most of January and February of next year.

If you have any info that can help us out please PM so we can jump on a call and discuss. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2012

Re: I need a boat in costa rica pacific

I am a bit suprised that nobody has replied with at least charter company info. If you know any SN members with knowledge that can be helpful please forward this along to them in case they missed it.

If anyone is considering selling a suitable boat anywhere, and wants to consider getting paid for the sale and the delivery please contact us.

Deal sweetener- Our travel agent can get killer all inclusive packages touring all the hot spots throughout costa rica. anywhere from 6-10 days. We would be willing to throw something like that in for yourself +1.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cassandra1; 05-17-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: one word edit
Old 05-19-2012

Pura Vida is on a distinguished road

Hello! Sounds like you are planning an amazing adventure.

We live in Guanacaste, Costa Rica and go sailing here quite often. I can give you the name/number of at least one local chartering company called Gold Coast Charters. If you can't find their contact info or if they can't help you. I can dig up the names for some of the others. There are many sailboats and catamarans in the area so I think you should be able to find something without too much trouble. It seems like sailing cats are the most popular in this area.

I believe you'll have to charter the boat with captain and crew. We were told that they don't do barefoot charters around here because they can't get insurance for it. But, I don't know how accurate that is.

Sailing in Costa Rica, especially Guancaste, can be very interesting in January and February. The Papagayo winds are intense!

Happy planning! Let me know if you need any more help or have more questions. I love this place and love telling other people about it. Pura vida!
Old 05-20-2012

Smile Re: I need a boat in costa rica pacific

Thank you Pura Vida!

A grand adventure indeed. I appreciate the charter info you replied with. I will certainly reach out to them to look at rates.

I have actually made some headway since I originally posted this. I got in touch with a few boat dealers in Costa Rica. There seems to be only a few dealers around but all have been very helpful and claimed that my request is fairly common a few times a year from others. We are now looking at purchasing a suitable boat to then be sold fast at substantial discount after our use. The brokers seem eager to sell a boat twice in one year. Any one in the market down there keep your eyes peeled for a great deal early next year. If we find a great boat we may split it with a friend who lives in country to be kept for future use.

My guess is we can take either path and save compared to the charter option. I will get in touch with Gold Coast this week to see. Regardless, we'll catch you out there early next year! Thanks again.

Last edited by cassandra1; 05-20-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2014

rgvsailor is on a distinguished road

Hey, I saw that you know a bit about Sailing in Costa Rica. I am currently in Guanacasta and am looking to crew. Could you offer advice on how I should go about doing so?

Tags
charter , costa rica , for sale , panama , rental

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.