SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Bareboating in Spain: license requirements (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/100098-bareboating-spain-license-requirements.html)

Jjg4 06-03-2013 10:39 AM

Bareboating in Spain: license requirements

I understand that Spain has a license requirement for bareboating but I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer from the charter company on what qualifies as a "license." I am ASA 104 certified (Bareboat Cruising) and have skippered on monohulls up to 36'. I'm interested in chartering a monohull around 34' for 4 days.

Does anyone know if the ASA certification is recognized or have any experience with licensing in Spain (on the Med, around Costa Brava)?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

James

alex_sauvage 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

Re: Bareboating in Spain: license requirements

You can "convert" you ASA 104 into "European / Mediterranean Chartering Certificates" which should be enough. Look at ASA website: International Sailing Proficiency Certification for Chartering from ASA
It cost ~40$, but probably worth it avoid problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjg4 (Post 1038883)
I understand that Spain has a license requirement for bareboating but I'm having trouble getting a definitive answer from the charter company on what qualifies as a "license." I am ASA 104 certified (Bareboat Cruising) and have skippered on monohulls up to 36'. I'm interested in chartering a monohull around 34' for 4 days.

Does anyone know if the ASA certification is recognized or have any experience with licensing in Spain (on the Med, around Costa Brava)?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

James

Jjg4 06-03-2013 04:52 PM

Thanks Alex, that's great to know. $40 seems well worth it if they accept it. Thanks for the info--appreciate it!

James

newtoav 07-30-2013 01:46 PM

Looks like it's $59... and you'll need 101, 102, and 104 - but otherwise info is accurate.

Jjg4 07-30-2013 02:20 PM

For anyone who might be interested: I got the proficiency certificate from ASA (need to have ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising) and it served the purpose with the charter company. Went sailing for 4 days and had a great time. Highly recommend Costa Brava!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex_sauvage 07-30-2013 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=Jjg4;1066618]For anyone who might be interested: I got the proficiency certificate from ASA (need to have ASA 104, Bareboat Cruising) and it served the purpose with the charter company. Went sailing for 4 days and had a great time. Highly recommend Costa Brava!

Thank you for the update. How long it took you to get one from ASA?

Jjg4 07-30-2013 05:18 PM

About a week or so once I sent in the form and check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk