Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Our first bareboat charter BVI 2014

I don't know how they all operate, but neither of the two operators I've used in BVI (Moorings and Horizon) suggested prepaid fuel. I have been required to bring the boat back full, as I received it full. Horizon offers a service for $75, where you can bring her back and they will top her off later. You still pay for whatever she takes. This service can be worth it, rather than waiting to land a busy fuel dock when you have a plane or ferry to catch. I defaulted to it last time, but would probably just plan on it going forward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't know how they all operate, but neither of the two operators I've used in BVI (Moorings and Horizon) suggested prepaid fuel. I have been required to bring the boat back full, as I received it full. Horizon offers a service for $75, where you can bring her back and they will top her off later. You still pay for whatever she takes. This service can be worth it, rather than waiting to land a busy fuel dock when you have a plane or ferry to catch. I defaulted to it last time, but would probably just plan on it going forward.
I'm surprised you don't charter with Horizon. They have a 54ds that looks a like like your signature and have a 57' in case you get foot-itis.
Old 07-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I'm surprised you don't charter with Horizon. They have a 54ds that looks a like like your signature and have a 57' in case you get foot-itis.
Seems you misread, I wrote that I have chartered with Horizon. First time this past winter. I did see the 54DS there, but chartered a Bavaria 36. If we get another couple next time, we'll definitely get the 54DS. Its nice to know it cold. However, its not equipped quite as well and things like the winches are smaller. Charters!

The real irony is the 54DS in the Horizon fleet spends winters in BVI and summers right here in Narragansett Bay. I see it around all summer.
FarCry likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-04-2013

tonyg is on a distinguished road

We just got back from a SunSail Charter out of Tortola. Like you we were qualified but felt inexperienced so we signed up for the Flotilla and found the flotilla fee money well spent. Actually we really lucked out as a very experienced sailor joined us at the last minute.
Pros:
- The ferry from St Thomas was rerouted to West End and the ferry company said they would pay for taxis to Road Town but didn't organize the taxis. SunSail reps were already onto the problem and were waiting for us with a bus, then helped organize the other passengers get to RoadTown.
- As this was our first charter we were less concerned about saving money on details but found the boat well provisioned. Initially we order food for 2 but then added our extra passenger. In fact we ended up with a lot of food as it seems to come in packs of 2 so we got food for 4 which was too much.
- We had 2 mechanical incidents, one we didn't know about but the staff smelt a problem when he came aboard at the end of one day, the other was self inflicted. One was fixed in minutes with spares they carried, the other just required resetting the electrics.
- As mentioned above, its worth time working on picking up the moorings and communicating with the crew.
Cons
None really

All in all a great experience we are planning the next trip now.
Old 07-04-2013

nodders is on a distinguished road

My wife and I chaterred a 34 ft sloop from Conch this past February. It was our first time to the BVI's and first time charterring. I have my basic keelboating certification and have owned a 28 ft sloop for 3 years. We were a bit uncertain about our capabilities on a new boat in a new geographic area. that uncertaintly dissapated within about 5 minutes after leaving roadtown. We had a GREAT time and had no issues whatsoever. Infact, we found the sailing in the BVIs much easier than sailing on Lake Ontario. We did tend to use mooring balls as i felt more secure on them but did anchor a few times. It was a great vacation and my only regret is that we didn't book the boat for a longer period of time!

Old 07-07-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Seems you misread, I wrote that I have chartered with Horizon. First time this past winter. I did see the 54DS there, but chartered a Bavaria 36. If we get another couple next time, we'll definitely get the 54DS. Its nice to know it cold. However, its not equipped quite as well and things like the winches are smaller. Charters!

The real irony is the 54DS in the Horizon fleet spends winters in BVI and summers right here in Narragansett Bay. I see it around all summer.
I didn't misread. I just didn't read!!! I see the 54DS sitting there when I'm in Nanny Cay for the BVI Spring Regatta. It never seems to be out during that week which is high season, late March.

I did some regattas around here and St Martin on a 54DS. Decent sailing boat and super comfortable after the race!

If you come back and charter the 54DS, I can come help you out as skipper for a few days until you get the hang of it, or run out of beer, whichever happens last!!!!
Old 07-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
....If you come back and charter the 54DS, I can come help you out as skipper for a few days until you get the hang of it, or run out of beer, whichever happens last!!!!
Deal.

I'm pretty sure I just saw her at Martha's Vineyard yesterday. Name is Namaste, IIRC. Small world.

p.s. since we already have the hang of it, we'll just have to wait for the beer to run out.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 07-09-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg:1054434
We had 2 mechanical incidents, one we didn't know about but the staff smelt a problem when he came aboard at the end of one day, the other was self inflicted. One was fixed in minutes with spares they carried, the other just required resetting the electrics.
Could you go into more detail on the mechanical issues? This is the type of stuff I would love to hear about in other's experiences.

Old 07-26-2013

MarieTheBitter is on a distinguished road

you will be absolutely fine...but you'll probably witness a Credit Card Captain or two providing you with mooring-side entertainment, especially if you go to Trellis Bay for a Full Moon party... yes, "Ruby", I am talking to YOU

if I may add from my own experience, if you have good friends you think will be able to tolerate being stuck on 40ft. of boat with you (and each other) for a week, try and convince them to go. We did just that for our last two trips and it was "the best vacation ever" all around.

Having designated "hookers" and some extra galley help really is a great thing. Just set expectations correctly...a bareboat trip is not a luxury cruise, more like camping on water.

Make a tentative itinerary or list of "really want-to-see's" with lots of alternate destinations based on where whim and wind take you, and RELAX.

If you do your own provisioning, Rite Way is awesome, and Tico is great for drink orders.

The little store in Great Harbor on Jost or the market in Cane Garden Bay are great for stocking up mid-trip.

Have FUN!!!
Old 07-29-2013
Rocket Scientist

Cap'n Russ is on a distinguished road

I've found it immensely helpful to use a pair of FRS walkie-talkies for coordination between the helm and the bow during anchoring or picking up a mooring. I took my sister and her family on a week-long bareboat charter using a Beneteau 393 and the radio made talking my sister through setting the anchor, something she had never done before, far more productive and successful. Something that wouldn't have happened if we had had to shout at each other. :-)