Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013

Chessner is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Sad Day For Chartering In Baja Moorings Says Adios

Anyone trying to book a Baja Mexico sailing vacation at the Moorings website will notice that there are no booking dates available--none, period. Word has it that Moorings is phasing out its operations in Mexico. The only boats currently available are 2 47 ft power boats which apparently will soon be withdrawn. This is indeed a sad state of affaires. Sailing in the Sea of Cortez is a truly unique and wonderful experience that Moorings has provided its charter clients over the past several years. I am curious as to why they are closing the base in La Paz. Hopefully the void left by Moorings will be quickly filled by another chartering company (Horizon, TMM, Dream Yacht). Over the years Moorings has built up a loyal client base of Baja charterers who will no doubt be left in a state of shock once they are aware of this sad turn of events. Any Moorings Baja charterers troubled by this should telephone or e-mail those concerns to The Moorings...hopefully they will then have cause to reconsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Sad Day For Chartering In Baja Moorings Says Adios

A friend has already contacted me to see if I wanted to assist on a Moorings delivery from La Paz to the BVI.

If there is enough demand and a profit can be made, someone will step in and open up to fill the La Paz void.
Old 07-18-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Someone on another forum called Moorings. They said powerboats will continue to be offered, but sailboats are no longer profitable due to declines in the number of people chartering.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-19-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Is Mexico safe these days? My brother-in-law's company experienced the kidnapping of one of their people and paid the ransom. That was years ago. Scary.

Regards,
Brad.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 07-19-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Is Mexico safe these days? My brother-in-law's company experienced the kidnapping of one of their people and paid the ransom. That was years ago. Scary.

Regards,
Brad.
My company has an office in Monterrey Mexico and when you go you get an armored car, with a full time body guard. I was supposed to go down for a few months to train a team, I was not disappointed when the project was canceled. It is as bad as ever, and now with the Zetas leader arrested it will likely get worse. Acapulco has one of the highest murder rates as well. I imagine the only folks going down there now are big time fishing nuts, so sailboats likely sit often. I think Baja is safe, but the rest of the country is chasing out any hope of tourism.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.