Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004

ianwi is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

I''m new to sailing and I''m looking to try a flotilla in Turkey next summer either out of Gocek or Bodrum with friends and family for a week.

The only companies I''ve found so far who can offer flotilla''s from either of these bases are Sunsail, Nautilus Yachting and Centurion Yachting.

Poseidon offers a flotilla but it''s just reselling Sunsail and I think Nautilus is just a broker for Yildez Yachting in this case - not sure.

Can anyone vouch for any of these companies? (besides Sunsail) Any other recommendations for a company offering a flotilla in Turkey?

thanks,

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2004

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

Ian,

I can''t help you with personal experience on a flotilla in Turkey. Earlier this year I went on a flotilla in Greece with sailing Holidays (www.sailingholidays.com). They don''t have a flotilla in Turkey, but I was satified enough to book a flotilla in Croatia next year.

However, a couple on the flotilla in Greece mentioned a flotilla took in Turkey with Setsail (www.setsail.co.uk) and they seemed satisfied enough that I made a point to remember the name.

Flotillas don''t seem all that popular with US sailors. Pick up a copy of Yachting Monthly, a UK publication, and you''ll find a few more companies that offer flotillas. BTW, Yachting Monthy seems to me to be superior to US sailing journals, as I''d earlier noticed for automotive journals.

Finally, I''m quite interested in sharing information amoung folks interested in flotillas. I''d thought of asking sailnet if there would be any interest in a Flotilla message board. I''m quessing it wouldn''t get much activity. Howeve, us starting sailors need to buy a lot of struff, and I''ve bought a quite a lot from sailnet.

Dave
Old 11-16-2004

Charter in Turkey

Ian,

Although I previewed the note, edit didn''t seem to work, so I posted anyway. I''ve made a few corrections below.

I can''t help you with personal experience on a flotilla in Turkey. Earlier this year I went on a flotilla in Greece with sailing Holidays (www.sailingholidays.com). They don''t have a flotilla in Turkey, but I was satified enough to book a flotilla in Croatia next year.

However, a couple on the flotilla in Greece mentioned a flotilla they took in Turkey with Setsail (www.setsail.co.uk) and they seemed satisfied enough that I made a point to remember the name of the company.

Flotillas don''t seem all that popular with US sailors. Pick up a copy of Yachting Monthly, a UK publication, and you''ll find a few more companies that offer flotillas. BTW, Yachting Monthy seems to me to be superior to US sailing journals, as I''d earlier noticed for automotive journals.

Finally, I''m quite interested in sharing information amoung folks interested in flotillas. I''d thought of asking sailnet if there would be any interest in a Flotilla message board. I''m quessing it wouldn''t get much activity. Howeve, us starting sailors need to buy a lot of stuff, and I''ve certainly bought a quite a lot from sailnet.

Dave
Old 11-16-2004

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Charter in Turkey

I suggest you search dutch flotilla sites. Be sure that you will get real value for money. This summer I participated, almost by chance, in a relaxed two-week flotilla cruise in the Ionian, run by NCN (website: http://www.ncn-charters.nl/) and it struck me, as a Greek, that they had always the right tips about restaurants and places. I also saw people from Cruising Holidays there and they seemed quite effective and professional. It is essential that people report back their experience so the rest of the sailing community is informed first hand. However, Ian, if you have longer sailing experience and an appropriate crew, I propose to you for next summer as an alternative to share with us a two-week cruise around Dodecanese islands (same weather conditions as along the turkish coast) starting from Kos, 16-30 July 2005, on bareboat charter. If you are interested, I''m ready to provide plan and details.
Fair winds to everybody
Old 11-17-2004

ianwi is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

Thanks TejasSailer for the pointer to setsail - I''ve requested a quote from them.

I live in the UK so I''ll check out a copy of Yachting Monthly too.

Thanks chrondi for the proposition. I''ve already planned to do this flotilla with another couple and we''re quite settled on Turkey as an easy sailing area. Seemed like a better choice than the Ionian. We considered the Dodecadese with a hired skipper for a while but eventually decided to go the flotilla route for our first charter. We''re also stuck doing this in August because of school holidays.

As for sharing information, I can give you my link to my wiki where I''ve been trying to capture some of my (very rough) notes on researching this flotilla holiday:

http://wiki.brainnoodles.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.YachtCharter

I don''t mind if anyone wants to add to it.

I''d be happy to try the Dutch flotilla sites if I could reach Dutch :-)
Old 12-09-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

before you go be sure to watch the movie Midnite Express.Its a true story and was filmed in Turkey
Old 12-15-2004

magnusmurphy is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

In 94 I sailed in Turkey for two weeks with Sunsail. The first week was a flotilla out of DAtca (the base has now moved to Bodrum I think). The second week was a bareboat charter.

The crew consisted of myself, my father and my sister on a 30ft Jeanneau.

It was a wonderful experience and we still talk about it. The flotilla part was BY FAR the best part of the vacation. We had an absolute blast. You are free to roam as you want during the day, but in the evenings all get together for a beach BBQ or a meal at a local establishment or such. Some trips were arranged inland (you don''t have to go).

After the flotilla we felt very alone the second week.

I would recommend the flotilla very highly. Benefit of Sunsail is that it is a high profile company with resources. If something goes wrong you have redress and don''t have to struggle with a "local" outfit. You can take your grievances to the headoffice and be assured to have redress.

M Murphy
Old 12-31-2004

Charter in Turkey

Ian,

Thanks for posting the wiki page.

FYI, the January issue of Sailing Today (yet another UK publication) contains a 24-page "Charter holidays The essential Guide" that is, well, essentially a promotional chartering brochure for Brits.
Old 04-11-2005

svebor is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

hi, everyone! something else:
Am trying to find out if it is a paperwork hell to sail Turkish vessel in Greek waters. Anyone had any experience? I''ve got a great boat offer from Marmaris, and that sunds just great to sail Dodecanese. Since first time chartering n Greece(did one transfer from Croatia to Marmaris before), I don''t know how Greek harbour authoritise look upon a Turkish vessel. Do they make it more hassle, more expncive or not? thanks if anybody could and wanted to answer. Enjoy life!
svebor
Old 05-17-2005

thommy is on a distinguished road
Charter in Turkey

does anyone know where I can find a list of all yacht charters in Croatia ? email addresses would
be even better ? I intend to rent a boat this year in Croatia but I want to get the best price.
I thought I could email them all and pick the best one.

tnx
thomas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.