Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Chartering
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin:1229338
TMM is serious about their qualifications and they are used to being lied to (well, "inflated resumes" where someone once saw a boat close-up and thus claims 100,000 sea miles). I have heard of skippers going out with the boat and if all looks OK they'll ask to be put ashore by dinghy somewhere. Finding space for a skipper aboard a 40-footer with a full complement of guests is going to be hard in any case.
This makes total sense, it just alarms me that they make this requirement from resume alone. This is a 3 cabin 2 head boat which is total overkill for just me and my wife, but it was cheaper than smaller/older options with other companies, has a shallower draft, and TMM offers some other benefits that we liked.

I don't know what to do. Either I go with a 36 at Sunsail (more money but probably a better fit), or stick with TMM and risk a skipper that decides to stay aboard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2013

Just spoke with my last charter captain and he's also spooked by it. He's telling me to cancel and go with another company.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience required to bareboat?

I've chartered with Sunsail in the BVI and the qualifications were minimal. I had ASA through 104 (as did my wife), several other charters elsewhere, plus boat ownership. I would think your ASA classes, plus prior/current ownership of a sailboat would be sufficient. Try one of the larger companies...Sunsail or Moorings. Not sure what the size of your current boat is, but if smaller, perhaps the charter company has reservations about the size of the boat (i.e. 40'). Either way, I've heard of captains being required for a couple of hours to ensure you know how to tack, etc., but two days does seem long...

And I'm sure that all who have charered in the BVI can certainly attest to seeing their fair share of "questionable" captains with a charter boat...so it is quite possible that some may be more restrictive than others...
Old 12-18-2013

My boat ownership is mostly powerboats. My sailboat is only a 15 foot daysailer so maybe this is a problen that I don't own a larger boat. As I said, surely I am a new sailor there is no question there. But I had thought I was going about the proper course. I have done 4 crewed charters and all the certs. Just figured that would count for something.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Old 12-18-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
My wife and I are trying to book our first bareboat charter in the BVI next year. We are both ASA Basic Keelboat (101), Coatal Cruising (103), and Bareboat (104) certified. I went on to earn my ASA Navigation (105) certification as well. We have done 4 crewed charters, 3 in the BVI and 1 in the Florida keys.

I also added on my sailing resume that I am currently enrolled in a school pursuing my 50 ton Master's, and have owned power boats for 10+ years.

I fully understand that I am no old salt, but I thought I had sufficient experience to charter. I am attempting to charter a 40 foot monohull and the bareboat company has told me that after my resume review I will be required to hire a captain for the first 2 days. Is this common?
Having not read your resume I would say it's not necessarily uncommon to have a skipper required. I work for a charter company and do not approve resumes, I do see a fair number of them. Some charter companies are more wary than others when it comes to protecting the assets that the owners have been so gracious to entrust them with. I go out with guests for three reasons:
1) The charter guest requested a skipper. The time frame for the skipper is determined well ahead of time anywhere from one day to the entire period of the charter.
2) The owner of the company required the charterer to take a skipper typically because of resume concerns. Again this is determined well ahead of time. This is usually one or two days depending on how well the guest is handling the boat and systems. I've been scheduled to go out for 2-3 days before and gotten off early because the guests are doing so well there is not a real need to keep me on the boat longer.
3) I've done a briefing on a boat and it's clear that either the charter guest has greatly embellished their resume, they haven't sailed in a very long time and skills they might have had once have greatly diminished, or for whatever reason the charterer just can't demonstrate VERY basic skills during the sailcheck. This is the most awkward and my least favorite part of the job and thankfully only happens a couple of times a year probably because the company is so stringent on resumes. There is no way to know if a skipper for a day or two or more is needed. It is all dependent on the charter. I sure don't want to mess up somebody's vacation plans! In the same sense if somebody can't figure out how to get the sails up (or out) and get through a tack or two, why would it be responsible to turn them loose on something worth a few hundred thousand dollars when there is a very good chance they could hurt themselves, some one else or the boat?

I don't know what the magic formula is to "pass" with TMM or anybody else. Reading your post, the things that would concern me are that you don't describe any bareboat experience at all. You don't describe owning a similar sized sailboat to 40'. From a charter company perspective I would assume that crewed charters are looked at the same as if you said you had been on a cruise ship. The other thing is that for a first bareboat charter for a couple, you don't mention having other crew along, starting on a 40' could be seen as a negative. Charter companies are in the business of sending people out on boats. Boats on docks do NOT make money.

My suggestions are, if you know you have all the necessary skills to bareboat a 40' boat, accept the skipper for 2 days and learn from him. You will be out what, $300-$400? What percentage of your total trip expense is that? You've taken the time and spent the money to get ASA certifications, why not continue your education with another experienced sailor? Any skipper that is worth a darn will recognize your abilities and leave you alone as soon as is practical. TMM is a reputable outfit, and technically our competition, and I would be utterly amazed to learn they were not using good skippers that would try and stretch a trip out for no reason. Or, see if a smaller boat is available that avoids the skipper requirement. Or, wrangle up some friends with sailing experience to go along with you. Or, ignore cost and go someplace that looks at your credit card limit as the measure of the skills needed to go. Some of the largest companies come to mind.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun, relax and be safe.
davidpm and groggy like this.

Last edited by FarCry; 12-18-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2013

RkyMtnHighWinds is on a distinguished road

You might want to contact BVI Yacht Charters. My wife and I were in the same situation and they were fine with us chartering without a captain. We both recently completed ASA 101, 103, & 104 and just own a Capri 14.2 for local lake sailing and that was enough. We did our first charter with them (just the wife and I) in late October of this year and were very happy with them. Many of their boats are a bit older but we had no issues with the Beneteau 31 we chartered. I can't wait to go back in 2014. Have a great time!
Old 12-18-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

My experience was this: I had been crew on four charters and took ASA 101, 103, 104, 105, and 106. The company initially required a captain for an afternoon. Just the afternoon, not a whole day and a morning. But it turned out that the charter master personally knew my 103-104 instructor (I included my instructors' names and email on the resume), so after she reassured him that I could dock a boat with causing too much damage I was cleared to charter without any additional oversight.

A day and a morning seems extreme.
Old 12-18-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
There's an umbrella company that owns Sunsail, Moorings and (I think) TMM. Or maybe Footloose? We went through Sunsail and the requirements were minimal.
Moorings, Sunsail, and Footloose have common ownership.

I haven't seen your resume, but from your brief description I think most of the charter companies would approve you. Some might ask for a check sail, which takes about an hour.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 12-18-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

You want to list your credit cards when you send your resume in. That's all it usually takes. They must know something about you that we don't know.

Highly unusual, go with another outfit.

Old 12-18-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

I would definately check with other companies...even if they require a captain also, if may be for a much shorter period of time. Worst case scenario, you are required to have one...from that point on you will have bareboat experience which will only make things easier. One of the bigger companies - such as Sunsail/Moorings - have bases everywhere which may make things easier when chartering in different locations...they would already have your history with them.

Tags
bareboat