Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience required to bareboat?

See if you can make it for one day.

Coming from a 15 footer to chartering a larger sailboat. What's it $200 a day for the captain? Try and hire him for one day. Personally, although I feel I could manage, and you probably can as well - having someone with local sailing experience along for at least one day sounds okay.
FarCry likes this.
Old 12-18-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise:1229642
See if you can make it for one day.

Coming from a 15 footer to chartering a larger sailboat. What's it $200 a day for the captain? Try and hire him for one day. Personally, although I feel I could manage, and you probably can as well - having someone with local sailing experience along for at least one day sounds okay.
I have no problem at all with having/paying the skipper for a day, even 2. As someone noted here and I agree, surely I will learn something from him. It's just the manner in which it was required that surprised me.

Even though we were bareboat certified this year, we chose to do a crewed charter (in the bvi) one more time to get more experience before taking on a bareboat. I just figured my resume was up to par. What people have said here makes sense. I guess being told this solely from my resume shook my confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I get that you are certified and that you are a bit put off.... I'm just saying try and negotiate the sticking point.

Have a great time. I'm envious. And I see your point. If I had to guess its the 15 foot boat that probably throws them.
Old 12-18-2013
Bareboat charterer

Ded reckoner is on a distinguished road

I suspect the charterer is having heartburn over two things. The first is that this is your first bareboat charter and the second is that you are requesting a 40 foot sailboat, which is considered large. I think this could have been alleviated if your first bareboat charter had repeated the itinerary of your ASA 103 and 104 class (i.e. using the same charterer out of which you took the classes). This would have given both you and the new charterer confidence that you're okay on your own and with that size boat. Now, you have to pick among the available options, most of which still look good. Don't be discouraged. Go, be safe, and have fun!
Old 12-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner:1230809
I suspect the charterer is having heartburn over two things. The first is that this is your first bareboat charter and the second is that you are requesting a 40 foot sailboat, which is considered large. I think this could have been alleviated if your first bareboat charter had repeated the itinerary of your ASA 103 and 104 class (i.e. using the same charterer out of which you took the classes). This would have given both you and the new charterer confidence that you're okay on your own and with that size boat. Now, you have to pick among the available options, most of which still look good. Don't be discouraged. Go, be safe, and have fun!
I suspect you are right. Only problem is that we didn't take our 103 and 104 with a charter company. We did those certifications on a Morgan Out Island 41 with a private ASA school in the Florida keys. I agree on the size too. While all of my big-boat experience has been on 40+, I would rather start on my own with a 36 but TMM doesn't have anything that small. There were several reasons why we chose TMM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. I hold all the ASA's as well, yet, i own a 40 foot boat. If you came to me with your resume and asked for a week on my 40 footer i would ask for a serious check ride. I think that if you had asked for a 30 footer they probably wouldn't blink. Going from 30 to 40 boat is a jump.
Given that you had crewed several times i would take this into account. Some letters of recommendation from the Captains of the crewed boats might help as well. IE Docking, mooring and sail skills.
Old 12-18-2013

benesailor is on a distinguished road

Curious, Why TMM? You can tell us.
Old 12-18-2013
Michigan Marine Dealer

knotnow is on a distinguished road

41 Morgan Out Islander is a good boat but a little bit of a slug. The Jenny’s & Benny’s in the charter fleet tend to be a little more spirited. The biggest difference in size is it takes longer to get into trouble but once there “Oh Baby” it takes fancier stuff to get you out. Another difference is the sheet loads and results.
Old 12-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor:1231001
Curious, Why TMM? You can tell us.
Sure. I like the idea of a smaller company, better or more individualized service (could be debated either way I suppose). I also like that they offered better prices than the other options I found (40 foot for the same price or less than others 36 foot), while offering free wi-fi which runs about $300ish per week with other companies. On the particular boat we chose, I liked the dual helm and shallow draft. I also prefer to have a dedicated chart plotter. I don't want to use an iPad for a plotter as I just don't wanna worry about it flying around the cockpit by accident.

TMM also offers a 10% return customer discount which is very attractive. I wish they had a 36... Shorter than 36 looks a little too claustrophobic for our taste and lack the lounging room in the cockpit that we have become accustomed to.

Old 12-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow:1231017
41 Morgan Out Islander is a good boat but a little bit of a slug. The Jenny’s & Benny’s in the charter fleet tend to be a little more spirited. The biggest difference in size is it takes longer to get into trouble but once there “Oh Baby” it takes fancier stuff to get you out. Another difference is the sheet loads and results.
Agreed. This year on our crewed BVI charter we were on a Jeanneau 46. What an amazing difference from the Morgan we trained on. I really enjoyed the Jeanneau and how much more responsive she was. Our captain knew we were doing one last crewed charter as a bareboat primer and let us do everything we wanted. As much as I really liked the Jeanneau, I'm glad we trained on the Morgan and experienced that too.

Tags
bareboat