SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chartering (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/)
-   -   Experience required to bareboat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chartering/112602-experience-required-bareboat.html)

CaribDream 12-18-2013 10:01 AM

Experience required to bareboat?

My wife and I are trying to book our first bareboat charter in the BVI next year. We are both ASA Basic Keelboat (101), Coatal Cruising (103), and Bareboat (104) certified. I went on to earn my ASA Navigation (105) certification as well. We have done 4 crewed charters, 3 in the BVI and 1 in the Florida keys.

I also added on my sailing resume that I am currently enrolled in a school pursuing my 50 ton Master's, and have owned power boats for 10+ years.

I fully understand that I am no old salt, but I thought I had sufficient experience to charter. I am attempting to charter a 40 foot monohull and the bareboat company has told me that after my resume review I will be required to hire a captain for the first 2 days. Is this common?

CLOSECALL 12-18-2013 10:07 AM

Re: Experience required to bareboat?

That sounds nuts. Get another charter company.

DRFerron 12-18-2013 10:07 AM

No.

Our sail club chartered in the BVI and one couple was able to (although they didn't) bareboat with only lake sailing experience.

Maybe things are changing but usually a credit card is what they require. Sounds like they want to throw their captain some work.

CaribDream 12-18-2013 10:12 AM

Maybe TMM is more difficult than others? I just wonder if the captain decides he wants to make some cash that he might stay aboard the whole week. That's an additional $1200 and kinda defeats the purpose of bareboating.

DRFerron 12-18-2013 10:17 AM

There's an umbrella company that owns Sunsail, Moorings and (I think) TMM. Or maybe Footloose? We went through Sunsail and the requirements were minimal.

knotnow 12-18-2013 10:30 AM

On the surface it appears you have more certifications than a lot of charterers. Add in the crewed time you’ve spent in the BVI’s a mandatory 2 day skipper assignment sounds extreme. Most charter company briefers can read your competency in 5 minutes by observing how you move around the boat and comments and questions during the briefing. If they are not comfortable a demonstration of your abilities might be requested. You might want to check around.

Zanshin 12-18-2013 11:02 AM

The ASA Bareboat should be more than sufficient, and usually with what a charter company considers a "borderline" charterer they will send out a skipper for the first part of a day, but certainly never 2 days.

CaribDream 12-18-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knotnow:1229146
On the surface it appears you have more certifications than a lot of charterers. Add in the crewed time you’ve spent in the BVI’s a mandatory 2 day skipper assignment sounds extreme. Most charter company briefers can read your competency in 5 minutes by observing how you move around the boat and comments and questions during the briefing. If they are not comfortable a demonstration of your abilities might be requested. You might want to check around.

That's what I thought... I can understand if they did a checkout and I messed something up - but I haven't even spoken to the company. They made this requirement based on my sailing resume alone. It just doesn't add up. Who is to say this guy won't stay on the boat. I really don't mind having a skipper for a day as this is my first bareboat, but something just doesn't sound/feel right here. I'm really considering canceling and going with Sunsail instead.

CaribDream 12-18-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin:1229250
The ASA Bareboat should be more than sufficient, and usually with what a charter company considers a "borderline" charterer they will send out a skipper for the first part of a day, but certainly never 2 days.

Ok - so I'm not crazy then. At least not totally. Their quote was "The first day and next morning". I'm taking that as 2 days.

Zanshin 12-18-2013 11:45 AM

TMM is serious about their qualifications and they are used to being lied to (well, "inflated resumes" where someone once saw a boat close-up and thus claims 100,000 sea miles). I have heard of skippers going out with the boat and if all looks OK they'll ask to be put ashore by dinghy somewhere. Finding space for a skipper aboard a 40-footer with a full complement of guests is going to be hard in any case.